┊5. five

*·˚ ༘ ➳〔 bronwyn's perspective... 〕 ࿐ ࿔*:🖇
💌 | makeout sesh...!

Nate kissed me. Does that mean he wants to get back together?

I keep looking at my phone, debating on whether I should call Nate, or if I should wait for him to call me. For all I know, he's thinking the same thing. My phone rings. I lunge at it.

"Hello? Nate?"

"Bronwynnnn I loveeee youuuu!" A slurred voice resonates through my phone.

"...Maeve! What the fuck." I growl, unamused.

"Hi sis! I downloaded an app so now when I call someone I can make it look like I'm someone else."

My room door opens and I hang up.

"Go away, Maeve." But instead of my sister's pajamas, I see a black leather jacket. The door opens fully, revealing Nate.

"Nate!" I exclaim. He waves awkwardly. Thank God I'm wearing my-hanging-out-with-Maeve ensemble instead of my pajamas.

"Hey... I hope it's okay that I'm here." I get off my bed and stand right in front of him, looking up.

"It's more than okay that you're here."

"Uh... Maeve let me in. She... she told me that your parents weren't home. And she winked. Should I be worried?"

My whole face heats up. "Um..."

He laughs. "Don't worry. I understand you're not ready."

I'm flustered. "Well- I- Uh-"

He kisses me before I can say any actual words. I wrap my arms around his neck, not wanting to let go. He closes the door and when his arm returns, he tangles it into my hair. Nate walks me over to my bed and I fall onto it. A few minutes later Nate pulls away. I'm disappointed. He's heaving, and I can tell he needs to calm down a little. He stands, up raking a hand through his hair. I sit up.

"Nate? Are you okay?"

He nods. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry, I just need to calm myself down."

He looks worried about something. It must be my parents, I think. After a few minutes of awkward silence, he crawls on top of me. He bends his head and starts kissing my jawline. His kisses are featherlight and soft. I sigh. Nate's thick eyelashes skim my chin and I groan. His eyes... his eyelashes... they drive me mad. A shiver runs through me as he reaches my collarbone. But he stops there. He pulls away and looks me in the eyes.

"I... I keep picturing your parents walking in and well... and getting the wrong idea." He says it awkwardly, and I realise what he means.

"I know what you mean." I say simply.

"And it doesn't help that Maeve gave me these." He reaches into his pocket a pulls out a packet. I squint.

"Oh my God- she didn't."

He nods, eyes sparkling with laughter.

"MAEVE!" I yell. She saunters in. Her eyes grow wide.

"What'd I tell you Nate? I knew you were gonna need them."

I suddenly realise what position we're in. I scramble out from under Nate. "You gave Nate condoms?"

Maeve bursts out laughing. "Maybe?"

Nate wraps an arm around my waist. "Aww, don't worry. She meant it as a joke. Right Maeve?"

"Actually, I didn't mean it as a joke-" She starts off matter-of-factly.

"Right Maeve?" Nate repeats.

She rolls her eyes. "Yes, Bronwyn. I meant it as a joke."

I narrow my eyes. "Do you guys think I didn't hear that?"

Suddenly, I hear the front door open. Maeve's eyes widen in alarm.

"Nate! Hide!" I hiss. But it's too late. My mother is standing next to Maeve, eyes narrowed. I cringe.

"Hello Mr Macauley..."

"Uh, hello Mrs Rojas."

"Bronwyn, I'm concerned that he's here with you while were not home. He's also sitting on your bed. Holding..." She narrows her eyes, "Condoms?"

I freeze."I can explain, mom!" I say quickly. My mother ignores me and points a finger at Nate.

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave, Mr Macauley."

He nods."Of course, Mrs Rojas."

I get up, prepared to follow him but my mother stop me.

"I think he can find the door himself. He's been here enough."

Nate shoots me a look and then he skirts past my mother.

"Maeve, leave please."

"Wait, I gave those to Nate as a jok-" Maeve starts. Half of me is glad she's guilty, the other half of me is scared as fuck.

"Leave."

Maeve shoots me a sympathetic look and hurries out. My mother closes the door, sighing.

"I thought you'd finally ended things with that boy."

"I did. For a while. But we never stopped loving each other."

"Love? What do you know about love. You're barely an adult."

"Barely an adult? I just graduated college!"

"I think that's much to young to be sleeping with people."

I'm horrified. I hoped to never hear that from my parents.

"I wasn't going to... nothing was happening! We just kissed a bit!"

"That's how it starts, Bronwyn. Just a little bit of kissing. He's like all the other boys. Doesn't care about you. Only wants... intimacy."

"No, he's not! Nate cares about me! He understands that I'm not ready."

"Bronwyn, it is a dangerous world out there. A world where women aren't treated as well as men. Nate... he... he's not different. He doesn't care about feelings or whatnot."

I sniff. I wasn't going to have this. "I'm not doing this, mom! This is my life! Nate's my boyfriend! I chose him because I love him. He saved my life! He cares about me. Nate is one of the most important people in my life. I'm old enough to not have to live here. I'm leaving."

With that, I stand up and grab my suitcase.

"You're leaving? Where you gonna go? To Nate's? His house isn't stable. It'll fall at any minute!"

"I have money in my bank account. Enough for a small but nice apartment. I'm moving in with Nate!" I say sharply.

Her eyes grow wide. "Fine. Don't expect us to visit. And if you get knocked up by that boy, don't come crying to your father and I." She says shakily and walks out.

I ignore her. I dump a bunch of clothes and stuff into two suitcases. I'd have to come for the rest another time. I pick up my phone, and leave my room.

└➤ a/n: damn that was intense 😳

i love you all, make sure to take care of yourself <3