Chapter Two ~ Afterword {The Doctor}

Hello, old friend. And here we are. You and me on the last page. By the time you read these words, Rory and I will be long gone, so know that we lived well and we’re very happy. And above all else, know that we will love you always. Sometimes I do worry about you, though. I think once we’re gone, you won’t be coming back here for a while and you might be alone, which you should never be. Don’t be alone, Doctor.

And do one more thing for me: There’s a little girl waiting in a garden. She’s going to wait a long while so she’s going to need a lot of hope. Go to her. Tell her a story. Tell her that if she’s patient, the days are coming that she will never forget. Tell her she will go to see and fight pirates, she’ll fall in love with a man who will wait 2000 years to keep her safe. Tell her she’ll give hope to the greatest painter who ever lived, and save a whale in outer space.

Tell her this is the story of Amelia Pond.

And this is how it ends.

As I read Amy’s words I could feel the tears streaming down my face. The first face this face saw, now gone forever. All of the forces of time and space, working against us.

I always had the ability to move on, to find a new companion, but I never truly forget. This time, I don’t know if I can.

I only ever lived while I was with them, the Ponds… my Ponds. I used to pretend that I had been gone, traveling for months, even years, when in reality I had stepped back into the TARDIS and flew several months into their futures, just so I would not have to live without them.

I pick myself up and slowly walk back to the TARDIS. I place my hand on the door. “It’s just us now,” I whisper to her as I step inside. I pause as I see Amy’s red jacket draped over the railing. I take a step closer and pick it up. It still smells like her. As I sit the jacket back down. I am startled as something falls out onto the ground, Amy’s glasses. As I pick them up and place them on my face, I can’t help but think that these eyeglasses are a symbol of our ending, and how I hate endings.

I walk to the controls and see Amy’s picture on the monitor. I let out a scream as I punch the screen, what I have been holding back since we were first separated. I hear my sobs grow louder as I slide down onto the floor. I have never felt pain like this before, or at least in this form.  

Sarah Jane has her son, Rose has a copy of me, Martha has Ricky the Idiot, Donna has Shuan, and Amy and Rory have each other, isn’t that enough? No. I will not accept this. I promised Brian I would get them back safely, and that is exactly what I will do.

I wipe my tears away on my jacket and jump up to the controls. “Give me the voice interface.” I turn as I see a figure flicker into existence slightly to my right. I am startled to see The Master staring back at me; I never cared much for that bleached blonde hair. “No, give me someone I like.” The Master disappears as the picture distorts to form a series of people: K9, Soufflé Girl, Rose, Martha, Wilfrid, Donna, Rory, then finally...Amy.

“Amelia Pond,” I whisper as I take a step closer.

“I am not Amelia Pond, I am a voice interface. What assistance do you require Doctor?” I feel a lump in my throat when she says my name; I never thought I would hear her voice say those words again.

“Pond, Amelia. I need a complete analysis of her timeline, some way that I can find a way to see her again. Can you do that?”

“Affirmative.” I see Amy’s body dissolve as moments, flickers, of Amy’s life begin to fill the room. I spin around and take in all going on around me. Years and years of happiness, loss, love, regret, and sorrow all condensed and forced into one…slideshow.