Chapter 5: Headlights

“Shit…” Glenn spit out, staring straight ahead.

They both sat there wide eyed looking at the mess that lay in their way. There were two cars, one was on its side, but they formed a wall across the road. There were about two dozen walkers strolling around, their attention now focused on the big fire truck.

“What do we do?” Glenn looks to Daryl.

Daryl looks out the window up at the sky, “The sun’s gunna set soon, and I don’ think we would be able to finish em off and move the cars before dark, don't know where we're going so driving in the dark ain't the best plan” He states plainly. "Let's go clear em out and set up camp for the night. We'll move the cars tomorrow when we don't have to worry bout makin too much noise and gettin ambushed" he grumbled in his usual scratchy voice.

Glenn leaned back into the back area "We got a road block, Maggie we'll need your help clearing out the geeks, then we'll set up camp." Maggie just nodds in response.

"I can help too" Noah chimes in, being awoken by the jolt of the truck stopping.

"Don't need you bit, you ain't much help hobbling 'round anyways." Daryl says roughly. Noah just sat back not saying any more.

Daryl, Glenn, Tyrese and Maggie stepped out of the truck, weapons in hand. Daryl sent bolts through the decaying heads one after another. Glenn chose a crow bar for his weapon, not wanting to use the gun. He started smashing through three walkers that were closer to him.

Tyrese had a large knife that he used to dispatch about five that had swarmed around him.

Maggie grabbed a blond skinny walker with half it's face missing and pinned it to the truck as she stabbed her knife into its head letting the black ooze pour out. She turned immediately around to find two walkers grabbing for her. She kicked the closest one into the other one. Knocking the first one over. Having seen how decayed it was she then stomped on its head smashing in its face and covering her boot in sludge. She doesn't have time to pull her foot from the twice dead walker before the second one comes back for another try. She immediately sends her knife through its left eye and yanks up ensuring she finished the job.

By the time she was done Glenn had taken down about 9 and most of the rest had bolts right through the middle of their heads.

"Imma start a fire" Maggie says as she walks off to look for wood while Glenn and Daryl drag the bodies off to the side of the road, opposite to where they'll set up camp.

Noah steps out of the truck and heads to go help Maggie get the fire started, leaving Beth and Carol to themselves.

"Should we go help?" Beth looked at Carol.

"We shouldn't do much honey, we don't wana make our injuries worse, the more we rest the faster we recover." Carol seems unhappy with her own response.

***

The fire was started and the sky was dark.

Maggie helped her sister over to the fire while Tyrese helped Carol. Daryl had already left to go hunt. They had most of their supplies in the truck, which included some food. Beth thought it was strange. He had no reason to go out hunting, we have enough for dinner...maybe he's avoiding me... She worried.

Not a half hour after he left Daryl strolls back into their camp. Everyone was sitting by the fire, their backs to the truck so that they wouldn't be surprised from behind. He had a racoon in hand and quietly sat down and started cleaning and cutting up his catch.

"Nice Daryl" Glenn said seemingly excited for the meat. "Didn't think I'd ever be excited to eat a racoon." He laughed.

Daryl grunted in response as he placed the meat on some sticks in fire.