Chapter 6 : No one cared

"Put the bow down, there ain't no need for that".

Daryl had almost immediately lowered his weapon when the car shut off and he no longer had to squint to see.

Why did he lower his bow so fast? Daryl is not one to back down when he's faced with only one opponent. Beth couldn't figure out what was going on until she saw Maggie wave her over. She slowly made her way toward them and was going to stand behind Daryl until Maggie gave her a look as if saying "I'm your big sister you should come to me for protection, not him."
I don't need protection. Beth told herself. She just felt more comfortable going to Daryl's side than her sisters. Why, she's my sister, we're blood. Why do I keep finding myself going to Daryl, unintentionally... Beth pondered until she looked to see who the man was.

"Hey Rick, where'd you get the car?" Glenn asks.

Beth immediately relaxes and scolds herself for being such a coward. I'm hurt, I can't defend myself, that's the only reason I was scarred. I'm tougher now than I was. She tries to convince herself.

"Got one of the ones at the Inn running. Figured you'd all be back before dark so when you didn't show I thought I'd head out to look for ya."

"Ran into a little roadblock" Daryl nods his head to the cars that lay blocking their way. Rick had pulled off to the side of the road when he arrived so their view of each other wasn't blocked by the cars.

"Why didn't you guys just drive around?" Rick looked back at Daryl.

"Had to get rid of a few walkers first. Plus the hill dips too much to the trees, truck woulda tipped."

"Alright well it's not far" Rick nods his head in the direction he came. "We can all pile into my car and well just come back for the truck tomorrow when theres some light." Daryl and Rick share a look, they have become so close, so used to each other that they no longer needed to speak for one to understand the other.

Maggie puts out the fire while everyone else packs up all their things. Tyrese helps Carol over to Rick's car and decides she should sit in the front seat, still in pain from all her injuries. No one questions this since she was in the worst condition and shouldn't have to be crammed between people. Although the car Rick brought is a wagon style, there still isn't enough seats.

Tyrese, Maggie, and Glenn sit in the back seat with Noah on the floor by their feet. Daryl and Beth were in the way back with all the supplies and things they had with them. Beth sits turned to the side so that her leg is laying across Daryl's lap. Neither of them look at each other or say a word.

What was that? I have changed so much since being at Grady, I haven't been crying... I changed, I have been tougher. But whenever he is around Im back to the old Beth, the one that's scared, the one that relies on someone else for protection. I don't need protection, I know that... maybe.... maybe I want it. What if I'm breaking down because I want to be comforted. I want someone to finally be there for me after all that time on my own. All that time of noone looking for me. Beth raises her eyes and looks over at Daryl, his eyes look different, not as tough. Is it because he thinks no one is watching? That is one thing Beth had always wondered, was he really that tough or was it an act? But after seeing him open up to her, break down in front of her, she realized that he is actually that tough, but only on the outside. On the inside he is hurt, sad, and human. Although she got to see him like that, she still finds him more than just a man. Hes special, he's strong, he still gives her that feeling as if he was immortal. Built for this world, I still believe he will be the last man standing. Without a doubt. She watches as he naws at the skin on his thumb, a tell tale sign she has come to recognize as either him being nervous, or deeply in thought. Her eyes trail down his other arm, pausing along his triceps...Beth!....She catches herself. She continues to follow his arm, ignoring his muscles and focusing on his cracked, rough hands. They look less scary as he rubs his thumb in circles on her leg. She had barely noticed it before, but now it feels so soothing, but her body sends pricks through her at his touch. She can't help the small smile that creeps up on her face.