Chapter 3

Walking away from Harper, I felt a large weight being lifted off my shoulder. Instead of talking to Elsie, I decided that I was ready to confront Sadie. Sadie was much easier to deal with than her twin, and I knew I would find her somewhere near her sister's lab. Not just because that's where her office was, but because the sisters were practically connected at the hip. They did everything together apart from their normal jobs, but anything else – including ruining my life – was a joint effort. Trying not to run, I followed the yellow lights deeper into the Station, turning left at the debriefing room where I could see a meeting still in progress, make a right at Craw's office, before continuing straight to Harper's lab. And lo and behold, Sadie Fleadswell was standing outside, foot tapping while her fingers flew over a Flexscreen.
"Agent Fleadswell," I commanded, and she looked up.
"Been a while, Lieutenant Johnson," She said, putting her tablet away.
"Did Harper tell you? Because everyone else seems to be rather ignorant about it."
"No, Craw did." She mumbled, and my eyebrows furred. Sadie was acting different, her stance weaker, eyes sadder, cheeky aura lost.
"Why did Craw tell you?" I asked, stepping closer.
"Because he said you would be coming." She stuttered, looking up at me.
"Did he say anything else?"
"No." This made me curious. Craw liked to have elaborate briefings and couldn't keep anything to himself if he didn't have to. "Why are you here? You haven't said a word to me or Harper in a year." She said, voice quiet.
"I have a mission," I said, and she nodded. I was confused. The twins were as stubborn as they were brilliant. Something must have happened in the year I was gone, something drastic. Something bad. "You, Harper, Ads, Damon and Elsie are coming with me to Kishma's base. The reason why is classified." I said, and she stayed silent. Sadie was only an agent; she often went on missions without knowing why until it came to it. "Are you okay?" I asked, ready for her outburst of a sassy attitude, but her response never came. Instead, a brown ringlet fell over her face as she pulled out her Flexscreen and tapped in the information.
"Where and when?" She said meekly.
"0700 tomorrow. Outside the gates." I said, flabbergasted. Sadie Fleadswell was not putting up a fight! What had happened to the girl who was always talking back to instructors and being a perfect partner to her evil sister?

"See you there." She said, before running down the hall and disappearing into an office that was not her own. I started walking back to the debriefing room, shocked and perplexed. That was the opposite of what I was expecting, not a single rude remark making an appearance.

I was almost in front of the debriefing room when I heard its door unseal, agents spilling out. Elsie walked out, chatting excitedly with her co-workers. Something had obviously gone right out in the field, or perhaps in her lab. I couldn't keep track of her friends anymore. She hugged a few, waved to others, before turning to see me. I'd never seen someone's face darken so quickly as she made her way over to me and slapped me across the face.
"Ow!" I cried, looking down at her. Elsie was tall for most people, even though 5'4 wasn't very tall, with straight dusty blonde hair, grey eyes and tanned skin from all her field missions.

"You've had that coming for a while now." She seethed. I supposed I understood, but Elsie had never been quick to violence. God, I really screwed up.
"Yeah, but still!" I said, rubbing my cheek. The cut had started to ooze blood again, slowly dripping across my cheek and down my neck. I tried wiping it away, but it only smudged across my skin.
"Oh my god, sorry," She said, snapping out of her vengeful mood, her entire form softening. "Wait, I'll get you a bandage."
"No, it's okay. I guess I deserve it," I mumbled, rubbing my wrist. It was a nervous habit I had gained from simply interacting with people, and cute people were even harder to manage. "I have a mission for you," I said, wiping the cut with my sleeve.
"Oh, no you don't." Elsie said, tensing up and shaking her head. "I can say no now, Captain Johnson." I tried not to flinch at how quickly she got angry at me again. Elsie was one of the few people I valued very highly, and to see her sweet personality turn bitter was gut-wrenching, anger inducing, even.