Sweep Series by Cate Tiernan OC

Mackenzie Rowlands. Reddish brown curls, brown eyes, shorter than Morgan. Slightly weaker magick-wise than Morgan but combined makes powerful magick. Lesbian, theatre participant. Crush than a relationship with Sky

It was an awkward feeling all around as the four waited for their orders

It was an awkward feeling all around as the four waited for their orders. Morgan got a tea and a cheesecake but Mackenzie opted for the ravioli Ciaran suggested as she hadn't eaten all day with the same tea Ciaran ordered for Morgan. The two sisters looked at each other and gave an encouraging smile to the other as the two men across from them, took sips of their wine. Mackenzie nearly thanked the waiter profusely as their food finally arrived, breaking up the awkward silence over the table. As she took small bites from the ravioli, Morgan nearly dying of ecstasy as she tasted her mocha cheesecake, Ciaran finally broke the silence.

"Tell me about growing up here," he started. "In America, not knowing your heritage." Mackenzie blinked at his words as Morgan hesitated so Mackenzie took the lead.

"It was a normal upbringing really. We didn't know we were adopted until recently or that witches existed in real life." She started, taking another bite of her ravioli, letting Morgan take over.

"We believed our heritage was Irish, all the way through. Catholic. All our relatives are; all the people at our church. We were just two more of the same."

"Did you two feel like you belonged?" At this Mackenzie froze and sat back. Did she feel like she belonged? Not really since she was little and conformed with the motions. But as she hit puberty and discovered how she really felt about girls and since they discovered Wicca, she had to admit, the sense of belonging was gone. Morgan swallowed heavily and shared a heavy look with her sister.

"No." They said together and looked away. Mackenzie speared a ravioli and just started to twirl it around, the delicious meal slowly losing its appeal.

"You wouldn't have fit in any better in my village. It was a whole town of village idiots." Killian proclaimed with a hand toss. That broke the heavy mood and startled the twins into laughter. Mackenzie eyed him fondly as he prattled on. "There wasn't a normal person among us. Every single soul was some off character that the other people had to watch out for. Old Sven Thorgard was a Vikroth who had settled in our town. Goddess knows why. The only magick he worked was on goats. Healing goats, finding goats, making goats fertile, increasing goats' milk."

"Really?" Morgan giggled as Mackenzie's grin widened. But they still felt the heavy gaze of their biological father watching them with a suspicious, dark expression. Mackenzie cast a quick look at him before the nervousness in her stomach made her switch back to her half-brother.

"Really! Goddess, he was weird. And Tacy Humbert-" At the mention of that name, Ciaran finally broke into a smile, shaking his head as he poured some more wine for him and Killian. Killian gave a nod of thanks as he continued in a loud whisper. "Tacy Humbert was love-starved. I mean starved. And she wasn't bad-looking. But she was such a shrew that no one would take her out more than once. So she'd put love spells on the poor sap." Ciaran chuckled into his glass and relaxed in his seat. Mackenzie looked at him curiously.