Face-To-Face

Face to Face by Rex Orange County

"Shit" is all the tall male said as he left his navy blue apron on the back of a chair, sitting with his two friends who were regulars at the cafe. "His stupid face is distracting, I nearly spilled a drink over Nyma" he growled a bit flustered, trying to refrain from looking at that mystery boy anymore.

"Lance, relax. He probably didn't even notice. You're just exaggerating" Lance's friend spoke. His friend was dark, a bit taller than Lance, and always wore yellow. "I know, I know, you're right. But did you NOT see that, Hunk? Nyma was pissed, dude. I made a fool of myself" Lance whined, burying his face in his hands in embarrassment.

"Of course you did, you're Lance," a young girl who was sitting with them said, her gaze staying on her cellphone "besides, she's way out of your league. Like every girl you like." She finally looked up, a bit unamused. "You're very helpful, Pidge" Lance shot back, wrinkling his nose a bit. His ocean blue eyes continued to dart back and forth from the conversation with his friends and to the boy. The boy who always sat at the window at noon and always ordered a black coffee whenever he did serious work. A few minutes go by and Lance's watch buzzes, reminding him that his break is over. "Will I see you gargoyles at my place later ?" Lance asked in a bit of a teasing tone, a smirk gracing his pink lips. "Sure, same time as last week ?" Pidge asked, getting up and grabbing a backpack that was on the back of her chair.

"Obviously. You need to study, ma'am"

"Just give me the answers. I don't care anymore"

"Nope! You need to study."

"Ok, mom." Pidge teased, her eyes heavy-lidded as always. She was a bit younger than both Hunk and Lance. She only became their friend since she worked with Hunk at a diner somewhere in Long Beach.

Lance went back to work, making a few drinks before getting caught off guard once more. The mystery boy was in line probably ordering the same thing. Lance was caught in a trance, letting the blender run as he watched him. Pale skin, jet black hair, a stupid purple bandaid on his cheek and the prettiest eyes ever. They were the same colour as the galaxy. Mixes of purple, violet and navy blue made them so eye-catching. Allura, his coworker, handed him an order and he got straight to work as soon as he could, occasionally glancing at the boy. Once he finished his order, he looked at the receipt and repeated the name in his head.

'Keith.'

What a weird name.

'Please don't fuck it up, please don't fuck it up, please-'

"Keith ?" Lance called out, almost not realizing he was at the pick-up counter already.

Almost as if it were magic, the boy was already in front of him, staring at the barista a bit confused. Lance looked back with almost the same reaction. Trying to break this awkward silence, he cleared his throat and smirked a bit,

"Hey" is all that came out of Lance's mouth

Keith cocked an eyebrow a bit unamused, looking the barista up and down. He was pretty cute. His caramel skin, those freckles that were splattered across the bridge of his nose and beyond, and those damn eyes. They were like the ocean. Keith snapped out of his reality and finally spoke in his shy, low voice.

"That's my order" Keith deadpanned. He wasn't into the flirting.

"Right, sorry" Lance smiled nervously, handing him the coffee

They stared at each other for another second or two and Keith broke the silence again,

"Uhm, thanks?"

"Wha.. oh yeah! No problem! Enjoy your drink!"

Lance went back to making a few drinks, but not easily. He felt as if he were going to have a panic attack. His heart was pumping, his stomach was fluttering, it was hard to breathe.