A Song About Being Sad

A Song About Being Sad by Rex Orange County

Dallas, Texas
Saturday, September 29, 2001

Rolling in the grass of his backyard home was a young boy named Keith. His mother sat on the porch, watching his white t-shirt with a red dino on it become stained with little patches of green. His laughter like music to her. She soon stood up with a sigh and a soft smile, walking over to her child. The slim lady sat down next to him, looking up at the orange leaves that were still on the semi-naked tree branches. "So, kiddo," she started, "You turn 7 in a month."

Keith sat up from his laying position and nodded, "Yeah. It's weird. I'm gonna be a teenager soon," he stuck his tongue out in disgust.

His mother laughed, now laying down in the freshly cut grass, "I know. You're growing up so fast. It feels like I was leaving the hospital only yesterday with a new-born."

The young boy looked at the blue sky and giggled, "That's impossible, mummy," he laughed.

She laughed with him, "I know, I know," The lady sat up and sat cross-legged in front of her child, "Been thinking about anything special for your birthday?" she asked him.

Keith hummed as he thought, his eyes going wide and a smile gracing his pale face when he finally got an idea. "I want a spaceship for Milo and me! We're gonna fly to Pluto and live in space," he said, holding a hippopotamus stuffie he had named Milo. He and his dad got him from an aquarium and now he was Keith's only friend.

"That sounds fun," his mother said, "But we'll miss two down here on Earth."

"You always complain about Milo getting too messy at the dinner table," Keith pouted, holding the hippo close to him now.

She chuckled lightly, "That doesn't mean I don't love Milo. Your dad and I love you two very much even though you both are messy eaters," she smiled, ruffling Keith's dark choppy locks.

Keith laughed as his hair was messed up. He finally looked up at his mum who had the same violet eyes, jet black hair, and smile. Although Keith's was more crooked and his missing teeth made it a bit goofier. His mother gave him the same look, letting out a sigh, "Let's head inside now, your dad should be home soon."

The lady got up and put a hand out for her child, helping him up. Both of them headed inside. Keith sat in the living room, turning on the TV to watch cartoons that were on. His mum headed into the kitchen to make some snacks for them, waiting to prepare dinner once her husband arrived.

An hour passed and soon did two. The sun had already set and his dad still wasn't home. His mother began to pace around the kitchen and was worried. He was always home before 5, what was going on?

She made her way to the house phone and dialled his work number. No answer, the restaurant was already closed. Her heart began to race anxiously as she worried about her husband. She made her way into the living room to talk to her child but was interrupted by the sound of a knock on the door. Keith's head turned directly to the door, his head tilting a bit out of curiosity.

His mum looked at him and motioned for Keith to go upstairs. He scurried up the carpeted staircase, sitting at the top to eavesdrop on the conversation that would most likely go on between his mum and the guest at the door.

She opened it slowly, hoping it was her husband. To her horror, it was a police officer. She opened the door all the way, a distraught look on her face as she awaited the news.

After a few minutes of exchanging incoherent mumbles, the door closed. Keith knew it was ok to come downstairs now. He went down and stopped before the last step. Keith noticed his mother, completely silent and leaned against the door. Her soft crying could barely be heard.