Boredom

Boredom by Tyler, the Creator

Mesa, Arizona.
July 28, 2004.

Lance covered his mouth, a shaky breath escaping from his lips. He heard footsteps on the other side of the door. They were stealthy, cautious. He covered his mouth with both hands when the footsteps stopped in front of the door. It was pitch black except for the light coming from the other side. The shadow of two feet were planted right there. They started walking away, a wave of relief showering his body. Lance let out a sigh of gratitude but immediately regretted it. He was shocked to find the door wide open, a figure in a mask right there screaming at him. Lance yelped out of fear, curling up on the floor of the closet. The figure took off the mask and erupted into a roar of laughter.

Veronica.

She was practically crying from laughter while Lance sat there, horrified out of his mind. He finally stood up and shoved his sister, pouting a bit as he watched her catch her breath. "I'm not playing hide and seek with you ever again," Lance told her, crossing his arms as he looked at her with furrowed brows.

Veronica finally stopped laughing and smiled at her twin, enjoying how upset he was. "Calm down, Lance," she chuckled, "You're just mad you never win," Veronica told him, throwing the ghoul mask to the side and running a hand through her short, wavy hair.

Lance whined, "It's not fair! It's my birthday! Why can't I win just ONE game?"

"OUR birthday, for your information."

He gave his twin a death stare while she continued to let out small giggles.

"Relax, Lance. Just because it's our birthday doesn't mean we can't have fun. Come on, let's go see the cake Amá made. I heard it's Tres Leches," Veronica told him as she began to run through the hallway the closet was located, heading into the kitchen.

Lance's eyes sparkled at what his sister told him. Tres Leches was his favourite kind of cake. That was usually the only thing he ate after parties. Lance quickly ran after his sister, the sound of his bare feet slapping the tiled floor as he made his way to the kitchen. Their mum and older brother, Luis, were decorating the cake. Veronica was already peering over the counter to see what she was doing. Lance stood next to her and watched his mum decorate the pastry. He got on his tiptoes to get a better look.

"Amá, is it yellow and blue or just one colour? Will there be 8 candles or just one for each?" Veronica started asking many questions, Lance and Luis noticing how visibly upset their mum was. Luis grabbed Veronica's hand gently and tried to steer her away from the cake but she began to whine. Lance watched as his mum was now irritated.

"Aye, como chingan!" their mum growled, the three siblings looking a bit horrified. The doorbell rang and she facepalmed, she was obviously under a lot of stress. "Veronica, Lance. Go and open the door and take your tia's and tio's to the patio," she instructed them. "Tu también, Luis."

Luis guided his two younger siblings to the front door and opened it, seeing their aunts and uncles saying happy birthday as they let their children lose to greet them as well. Veronica and Lance hugged their relatives quickly, wanting to go play with their cousins in the bounce house they had rented in the backyard. They all raced to the backyard, Luis helping his uncle with the gifts he had and taking them into the living room.

Marco, their eldest brother, and their dad arrived a little later, around 7pm, with a piñata for the birthday twins. It had Spiderman on it since that was both Veronica and Lance's favourite hero. Marco went to go say hi to his mum, then going to greet his family and his two youngest siblings. Lance was younger by 20 minutes, so he was always considered the baby of the family, even by Veronica.