Chapter 4 Max Cash

Chapter 4

Max Cash

A year went by since the birth of my little niece. Princess was a gift from God, at least that’s what Alex says. I don’t understand the concept of God. If God loves us, why does He kill the good people? God kills the good and let the bad live on; until they find God. After the death of my sister, things were different. Alex worked 24/7 and his father lived miles away. Alex, though, was thinking about having him move in. His father was diagnosed with cancer. School was over at two. When I get home, I have to watch Princess. Alex left for work once I got home. Alex worked from three to eleven. He was always busy during the week; but when the weekend came, he would spend time with us. Alex use to spend the whole week with me. On Saturdays, Alex would play basketball with me. He would give me advice for an upcoming game. I was in the basketball club. Every Sunday, Alex would take Princess and me to church. After church, Alex would play with Princess on the church playground. While they play, I would practice shooting hoops. I remember a time when the week was better than the weekend.

The day I had my last basketball game, was the day my relationship with Alex started to fade. Alex was focus more on his job than his family. Princess’s father was supposed to be the one to teach her how to talk and walk. I taught Princess her first words, which was Max. I also taught her how to walk. I was her father. “Hey Alex, Princess wants you to read to her. Can you?” I questioned as he put his suitcase on the floor.

He placed his hands on my shoulder and responded with a small grin. “Sorry Max, but I’m too tired. Can you read to her instead?”

I just walked away. I was tired of Alex. He used to be a fun, loving father; now he’s just an average man. He’s the type where God comes first, money comes second, and family comes last. I walked in Princess’s room and found her staring at a picture of Joy. “Was my mommy nice?” She slowly spoke.

I picked her up and smiled. “She sure was! She was the most nicest person I ever known. She was very faithful too.”

“Is Daddy going to read to me?” She asked.

“Alex is tired from work, so I’m going to read you again.” Princess nodded and held her teddy bear close.

     After I kissed Princess goodnight, I went to see if Alex was awake. He was in the living room talking with a patient. I turned away and headed to bed. As I laid in bed, a question came to mind. Does God love? Why would God do this? Why would God give me a father-like man then push him away from me? I closed my eyes shut, and regretted everything I ever did.

My family started falling. I woke up one day with a smile, and then woke up to find myself in a black suit. I was fifteen, and Princess was five. Alex was in his thirties. We stood above a great man, whose life was taken. “Where is Grandpa going?” Princess gazed at me with her tearful, blue eyes.

Alex grabbed her hand gently and spoke, “He’s in Heaven, with God and Jesus.” We left the graveyard and headed back to New York.

The ride back home was quiet, until Princess broke the silent. “Do you love me?”

Alex almost wrecked the car after hearing her say that. “What?”

“Do you love me?” She repeated herself, but more clearly.

Alex looked in the mirror. “Of course I do! Why?”

“You never talk to me. Where were you when I was born? Why didn't you teach me how to walk or talk? Where were you when it was time for church? Remember the times you took me to the church playground after the service? Why did you stop doing that? Why don’t we go to church anymore?” I was speechless. I looked over to see Princess holding her teddy bear tightly.

“I had to work, Princess.” He was trying to hold back a tear, but I saw one fall.

“So you love your job more than us?” I guess I wasn’t the only one thinking it. After that question, the car was silent.

When we stepped foot in the house, Alex told us to go to the living room. I sat on the couch, while Princess sat on the floor. “I’m sorry.” Alex sat next to me. “I’m sorry that I didn’t spend enough time with you. I was so focus on work that I forgot about the most important part, God and you guys. I’ll make things right, though. Every Sunday, we’ll go to the church playground.” Alex lifted Princess up and placed her on his lap, and then he looked at me. “Max, me and you will play ball when we come home from church. How does that sound?” It was great to hear him say that, but what came next was better. “I love you guys.”