Book 2- Chapter 20

Adrian's POV
"We'll be going now" Her step dad says, hailing a cab. I'm about to follow them but my father calls me back.

"Adrian...I have something important to tell you"

I stop in my tracks and turn around. "Why should I listen to you?"

"Please son"

How many times do I have to tell him to stop calling me that. I walk back into the house and he follows me.

"Why did you decide to leave. You just woke up one day and told me you were coming to stay with your mother. Why?" He asks taking a sit on the couch.

For some reason he looks different today. Dressed casual and looks calm, His eyebrows aren't furrowed.

"I found out that I had a sister. You weren't the best human in the world but I knew you had a heart and loved your children. But you proved me wrong. I couldn't stand living with you anymore." I say, feeling so angry that he has the guts to ask me 'why?' I should be the one asking him that question.

"And then you started sending  money to them every month?" He asks, looking me straight in the eye. Wait...what?!

"You thought I'll never find out? Well firstly I'll need you to stop. It's my responsibility and not yours..." I cut him off.

"So now you know that you have responsibilities?! I don't care if you start doing it or even send more money, but I won't stop. And guess why...cause I love my sister. Something you can never understand."

"You can't talk to me like that. I'm still your father. I'll take care of her from now on. I'll be the one to send the money, not you. I need to do this. At least to feel less guilty."

"Okay" I finally say after seconds of being silent. He looks sincere so I agree.

"I've been thinking lately and I've realized how much of an asshole I've been. I'll do anything to get the people I love back." He says and I chuckle.

"You're just realizing that now?"

"I'm moving to Atlanta." What?! "I'm tired of living the big life. I'm retiring soon. I want to leave a quiet life with you, Jonah and Janelle" He says blushing. Why is he blushing?! Does he like mom?! Oh no.

"I made a mistake sending them out. I loved your mother so much and I still do. Your mom got so angry when she realized I got another woman pregnant. I had kept it from her for years and I didn't know how she found out. I pushed Isla away cause I blamed her for ruining my relationship with your mom when it was all my fault. I was a coward, I couldn't even propose to the woman I love. I thought I'll never be able to commit so I always kept mistresses around..." I could see a tear from his eyes. This is the first time I'm seeing my father cry.

"..But I want to have my family back. Isla doesn't deserve a father like me. She has one that loves her so much. So even after I realized my mistake, I didn't want her to get to know me. So that I don't hurt her the way I hurt you and everyone around me. But that wasn't a good decision either, I don't think I know what a good decision is. I just want to make things right. While I'm still alive."

"What do you mean by that, father." I say, getting scared.

"I have stomach cancer..."
What?!

"I have a surgery scheduled in a weeks time. Depending on how the surgery goes, I might live or not make it. I want to make things right now, son"

When my father finally comes back to his senses and wants to change for the better, he's dying?!

I embrace him in a hug. I can't remember the last time I hugged him. We started sobbing.

"Why don't you move in with me?" I whisper in his ears and he pulls out of the hug with the biggest grin on his face. "Really?"

"Sure father. Are you having the surgery here in Atlanta?"

"Yes. Do me a favor son, Call your mother to come over. With Jonah"

I really don't want to see Jonah, especially not after I heard he cheated on Andrea with a bimbo.

At the first ring, my mom picks up. "Mom please can you come over with Jonah. It's urgent"

An hour later
"Adrian you got me worried. What's so ur... Andrew?" Mom says coming in, till she saw my father.

"Janelle...can we talk?"
Mom looks at me and back at my father like she's dreaming.

"Talk about what uhn..." Jonah comes between my parents and push my father on the couch and punches his face.

I grab Jonah from his shirt and push him to the floor as my mom rushes to my father to see if he is okay.

"Get off me!" Jonah yells at me.

I get off him and he stands up with me. "Is this why you called us here?" He asks but I ignore him.

"Can you guys sit down and let's talk civilized." My father says.

"You kicked us out of you house!! And not in a civilized way. Andrew" Jonah spits.

"Let's just hear him out" my mom says tending to the small bruise he has from the punch. I smile at that.

"I just want to apologize for what I did. I know I deserve this bruise but I've changed. I want us to be a family like we used to. The four of us. Plus my daughter but well, she has a family already. I want us to move on." He says.

"I've forgiven you a long time ago, Andrew. It won't be easy for us to go back to the way we used to be before. I don't know if you've really stopped womanizing" my mom says.

"Of course he hasn't" Jonah rudely interrupts and earns a glare from me.

"I have stopped. I haven't been with a woman in years. The only woman I love is you, Janelle and I want you back."

"This is all bullshit." Jonah says again.

"Mind your language.." mom says to him and looks back at my father.

"I love you too, Andrew. But only time will tell if we can make this work."

"I don't know if we have time." I say

"What do you mean by that?" My mom asks, clearly confused.

"I'll retire soon and be staying here with Adrian. I'll give you guys all the time you need."

"Someone should answer me. What did he mean by we don't have time."

My dad takes a deep breath in and releases it. "I have stomach cancer. It's still in it's early stage and was detected soon so I have a good chance of living. But if the surgery doesn't go well, I might not make it."

Everyone stays quiet and the only thing that can be heard is the silent sobs from my mom. My dad hugs her and she doesn't resist, hugging him back.

He motions for us to join them and we do. Jonah seems sober himself but we need to talk. I need to know where he stands with Drea cause I've made up my mind to ask her out on a date.

*******************************************
This chapter was so emotional for me to write. Hope everything works out for them and holdup...Adrian is going to ask Drea out?!*squeeeaaalll*
Vote and Comment. It goes a long way.
Stay safe❤️
Mavi ✨