Deja vu

Amelia was certain she had made a mistake in accepting the wedding invitation. Certain that she was setting herself up for more heartbreak.

Instead of dwelling on her return to Birmingham she had focused on work and even managed another date with John.

John had made his feelings clear on the topic of her return to Birmingham. Of course he was careful with his words, not wanting to seem to eager or to scare her off. Amelia could see right through it and truth be told she liked having someone who cared enough to worry about her.

Taking chances on romance was anybodies game she decided as John had swooped down that night to kiss her good bye.

As his lips connected with Amelia's  she noted how soft he was with her, his gentle approach was nice but it hadn't made her feel anything other than nice.

There was a second feeling that she had surpassed until she was behind closed doors; guilt. Amelia felt as if she had cheated and all she wanted to do was throw things at her walls but instead she soaked in the bath and told herself that it will soon pass. She hoped.

—-
Amelia had stayed in a hotel the night before the wedding to ensure that she wasn't late and mostly to go undetected. Having decided with Ada she would avoid Tommy and focus on celebrating the day with Arthur and Linda she was much more confident in her attendance.

Having picked a beautiful green dress that had thin straps with a white fur shawl she was certain she would stun at the winter wedding. Amelias mother said it was rude to be as nice as the bride but there was nothing about being second to bride.

Amelia decided that if she had to see Tommy that she would look her best. Better than Lizzie. It was easier to hate someone when you looked and felt good, it was a power move that she was well rehearsed in.

That morning she was dressed, her hair perfectly styled with make up that simply stunned. As she twirled infront of Ada she was certain that she had made the right choice.

Ada was wearing a similar style in dress but hers was a burgundy shade with a black fur shawl that hung off her delicate arms. Two single woman on a mission to be seen.

"Are you going to be okay today?" Ada asked as they slipped into Amelias car, James holding the door for her.

"Of course, it's a wedding Ada! I'm just happy someone will get to experience one" and she laughed regretted it.

"Amelia I'll be a phone call away if you need to leave early" James said from the front of the car, his eyes on her from the mirror.

Amelia leaned forward and pressed her old friends shoulder.

"Thanks James but I'll be okay, don't worry"

—-

Tommy and his brothers were stood outside of the church with a cigar and whiskey. Early celebrations where a part of their ritual at such events. Guests where told to enter the church and take their seats as the men celebrated Arthur's big day.

Soon a familiar car began to make its way up the small bank that led to the church and Tommy felt his pulse quicken.

Tommy could see Amelia laughing with Ada in the back and wondered if she telling Ada about their last meeting. Suddenly he remembered Lizzie was in the church and he would have to keep them apart.