Come Fly With Me

-THE AWKWARD PLAYDATE-

-
THE AWKWARD PLAYDATE
-

You sat on the wooden stool in the Dunphy's kitchen, icing a tray of cupcakes; vanilla icing in perfect swirls on top of the red velvet cakes you'd made earlier that day.

Claire was off to your left cutting up a batter of cookie dough; planning to cookie cut them into biscuits. You were just telling Claire about your plans for school in a few weeks, when Gloria walked in with a reluctant Manny following close behind her.

"Hola family!"

"Hello, Claire, [Y/n].." Manny greeted shyly.

You smiled at the two as a greeting, "Manny brought his favorite game to play with Will, Luke and [Y/n]" Gloria said; walking around the counter to give you a hug.

"It's called empire!, you use strategy to expand territories and take over the world." Manny said, holding up the boxed board game for you and Claire to see. The box had many pictures of army men shooting guns, and the word 'War' printed in giant red letters over top.

"Woah! Sounds cool, Manny. After I've helped Claire with frosting we could play then?" You asked, keeping eye contact with the boy to hear his reply. Manny's knees buckled under your attention, a sheepish smile on his face as he nodded meekly. Unable to form a proper sentence.

Gloria grinned knowingly at her son and glanced over at Claire, whose eyes never left the rolled up cookie batter, "mm- Luke's going to love that! He's out back playing with Will." Manny looked over the bench and out the ranch slider window, Luke had his shirt discarded, with a cardboard box over his head and no pants on as he jumped around the trampoline in his underwear.

Will sat on the ground beside him, playing around with the sprinkler and making what looked to be a mud angel. Manny sighed heavily, knowing it was gonna be a long day.

"Do you need me to get you something while I'm out shopping?" Gloria asked kindly; rummaging around her purse.

"That's such a nice offer, but I think we're good, thanks." Claire rejected, you being the only one to notice her not so subtle annoyed look. Gloria opened her mouth to speak, but was cut short when Alex walked in hastily, heavily sighing as she pulled at the long blue sleeves on her shirt,

"Okay, what about this?"

"You don't even even say 'Hello' to Gloria and Manny?" Claire turned to face Alex.

"Hi Gloria and Manny- Now mom!, What about this?" Alex inquired, straightening out the chosen outfit; giving her a good look at the blue top she was wearing. Claire handed you some sprinkles and started cutting out shapes into the cookie dough, placing them on a tray orderly, "No, you're wearing a dress." She declared.