Coal Digger

—𝗬𝗢𝗨'𝗥𝗘 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗠𝗬 𝗨𝗡𝗖𝗟𝗘—

𝗬𝗢𝗨'𝗥𝗘 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗠𝗬 𝗨𝗡𝗖𝗟𝗘

You were sat in the cafeteria reading over Will's summer essay, listening to Rose complain in your ear about having not been elected debate captain. A half eaten apple sat in your hand — all while you hummed half-interested at your friends endless complaints.

"Like, can you even believe those jerks?" Rose asked, scoffing at the thought.

"Oh the injustice!" You cried out, giggling at Rose as you took another bite of your apple — the girl sat before you not impressed, "make fun of me all you want, but it is injustice!" Rose huffed.

"I mean, it's completely unfair! Katie Bell doesn't even scream leadership material." She continued, picking apart the cheap cardboard milk carton in front of her. Harper walked over to the table, greeting you both as she sat down in the empty chair at the end in between you and Rose.

"What's this?" Harper asked.

You took another bite of your apple and sighed, "Rose is upset because Miss Passwater picked Sarah Chong as classroom monitor."

"It's not just class monitor!" Rose pouted, glaring at Harper as a snicker left the red head's mouth — tossing a grape in her mouth with a hum.

"And here we go" you mumbled, "When I apply for Harvard, they're gonna laugh because pug faced Katie won the title." Rose said glumly. You paused for a brief moment and turned to look at Harper, "do you think the word exquisite is too much?" You pondered.

"For you, no. But for Will?.. better to go with radical or awesome — more believable."

"Does nobody care about my problems? Hmph— might as well let me wither away." Rose whined dramatically, pouting as she stared at the two of you. Harper rolled her eyes and continued munching on her food, "can you wither away quietly? I'm eating my grapes." She said.

You laughed and looked up at Rose, "I don't think Harvard would deny you entry because of a dumb position as class monitor, Ro. You're the smartest kid we know"

"Plus you're only eleven." Harper cut in, tossing another grape into her mouth, "we have four good years of dreaming about ponies and stuffed animals before the awful reality of deciding our futures kicks in." She said sincerely, reaching over and patting Roses hand with a grin.

That seemed to cheer her up (oddly) as she relaxed, "you're right Harps. Thanks."

You rolled your eyes at the two and glanced over at the table, Luke, Manny and Will normally sit at — only now noticing it empty. None of them were one to miss out on lunch, so the deserted table confused you.