Chapter 1 - Shadows

I do not own 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' nor any characters affiliated with the series.

Chapter 1 - Shadows

*Dani*

The night was cool as I locked up the dojo in rural New York. I peered through the window at the dark room inside. Just minutes before I had been inside, teaching a class of teenagers. A small smile tugged at the corner of my lips as I turned from the building. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my cell phone checking the time.

6:52.

I put the phone back in my pocket and re-positioned my bag on my shoulders. I still had plenty of time to head to the studio. The only sound as I walked was the scuff of my sneakers on the sidewalk. Not far from the dojo was an old abandoned dance studio that I liked to go to during my free time or when I needed to relieve stress or craziness of the world. Most people who knew me thought I was crazy to be even daring to step foot in the old building, but I found it a peaceful place to escape the loudness and the people of New York.

Not long after I left the front of the dojo was I squeezing through a few pieces of wood to get into the studio. Through the cracks of the boarded up windows the faint light of the moon peeked through. I pulled my bag over my head and threw it on the ground, then jogged over to a control panel and flipped a few switches. One by one, lights switched on with slight flickers. The lights were old so the glow they cast was soft, but enough to see by. I walked back to my bag and opened it up, shuffling things around until I found my small speaker. I pulled it out, placed it on the dusty wooden floor, flipped the on switch and plugged my phone into it. I clicked play and the studio instantly filled with music. My instincts took over and my feet carried me to the floor, slipping the sneakers from my feet I let the music take over my body. Each move flowing from my limbs like it was second nature, which it was.

I spent a good two hours on that floor just letting the music take over, but my growling stomach had gotten the best of me. I packed up my things and turned out the lights before I squeezed through the boards of wood and emerged back onto the sidewalk. I wiped a droplet of sweat from my forehead and began walking towards my apartment. It was almost ten o'clock so most people were tucked away inside their homes, especially down in this side of town. It's where most families lived, but it wasn't exactly the safest. You would hear at least one gunshot or scream each night. It was chilling, but many people called it home. Letting out a sigh I put my hands inside my jacket pockets and increased my walking speed. I was hungry and tired, and I just wanted to lay down in my bed and go to sleep.

"Hey there little lady."

My body went rigid and a chill raked up my spine. This is what I get for being out late. Slowly I turned around to face a raggedy man. His chin was covered in scruff and his hair was a mess. Dirt stained his clothes and I could see a small sliver of silver in his pants waist band. My shoulders roll back and I felt my feet move apart automatically.

"Leave me alone pal, I'm not in the mood to deal with you." I said with venom. My eyes narrowed and for a moment I thought I heard the slide of knives from their sheathes. I ignored the sound, sure it was just my imagination and focused back on the guy.

"Aw, come on sweetheart, I'm not gonna hurt you." He said with a sly smile as he moved towards me.

My hands flattened into blades and I prepared to strike when above me, there was a loud yell. My gaze moved upwards and a shape was falling down towards the ground. Fast.

*Raphael*

Raphael moved quickly through the sewers. Back in his home his brothers lay asleep as well as his Sensei, Splinter. He moved as fast as his legs would carry him and when he got the chance he climbed from the sewers and landed in an alley of the above world. He wasn't far from the docks where the cameras showed arriving Foot Clan soldiers. Raphael climbed the side of the building and landed in a crouch on the roof. His legs pushed off the cement and he launched himself into a sprint, his eyes set on the docks. The night hid him so no one passing buy could see his identity. See that he was a giant mutant freak.

He pushed the negative thought from his mind and focused on the task at hand. He lept across a gap between the buildings and landed on the next when a female voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Leave me alone pal, I'm not in the mood to deal with you." Her voice was filled with venom, but Raphael could hear a small twinge of fear in it. He moved to the edge of the roof where he heard the voice come from and he looked down. Below was a girl and a man, standing not seven feet from each other. The girl's feet were spread apart, much like Splinter had taught him and his brothers when they had begun their training. Raphael's eyes narrowed and he pulled his Sai's from his make-shift belt.

The man moved towards her, his expression shifting into one of cruelty. "Aw, come on sweetheart, I'm not gonna hurt you."

The girl had flattened her hands into blades, as if she were ready to attack the man, but Raphael would not watch any longer. He lept from the roof, a small battle cry leaving his lips. He landed in the space between the girl and the man. His back was to the girl and his gaze was set on the man.

"She said leave her alone." His voice was deep and menacing as he stared down at the man. The man's eyes widened and he took a small step back to keep himself from falling.

The man just shook his head back and forth before turning and running away like a frightened puppy. Raphael couldn't help the smirk that formed on his lips as he placed the Sai's back in their place on his belt. He turned towards the girl, backing up a bit. He had to control himself from showing the shock that bubbled in his chest. He hadn't realized how beautiful she was from the rooftop. Her reddish-brown hair was pulled into a ponytail, with a few wisps stuck to her face. Something about her features were familiar, but in the dark he couldn't see her clearly. Her lips were turned down in a scowl and her eyes were filled with anger. That was another thing that shocked him. She wasn't scared or shocked by his appearance, she was angry!

"What the hell was that?!" She screamed at him, her cheeks turning red with anger.

Raphael's eyes widened slightly and he felt his own anger bubble. "What the hell was that? That was me just saving your butt! Most people would be grateful!" He yelled back at her. He knew if Leo were there he'd be saying something like: 'Raph, back off. Let me handle this.' But Leo wasn't there, so Raphael was going to deal with this the way he wanted too.

"I didn't need you to! I can handle things like this on my own. I'm not some damsel in distress looking for some hero to come and save her!" Her eyes narrowed at him.

"Well sorry for trying to help! Maybe I wouldn't have done it if I had known you'd react this way." Raphael shook his head and shoved past the girl running into the alley and climbing back up onto the roof. He began running towards the docks again, holding onto the anger he just felt. It would help him against the Foot Clan soldiers.

*Dani*

I now stood alone on the street staring at the spot the strange creature just stood. Suddenly I was gasping for air as the realization hit me. That creature that just saved me wasn't human. I was so angry I hadn't noticed. My hand went to my chest as I took deep breaths to calm myself down. A giant turtle just saved me. I shook my head in denial, that couldn't have just happened. It's too crazy! I shook my head back and forth. I needed to get home, and fast. I pulled my jacket tighter over my chest and hurried along the sidewalk. My eyes drifted to the street where the moon cast its light. On the ground large shadows ran across the rooftops. Their shapes were strange and hard to make out, but I could hear their voices.

"Dudes! Raph totally just saved a girl! And he was blushing while they talked!" One yelled at the two others.

"Mikey! Shut up. We don't want people hearing us!" Another said in a hushed angry voice.

"But Leo, did you not see how shot down he got? He got soooo mad!" The one I assumed was Mikey said.

"Mikey! Leo! Would you both please be quiet? From my calculations the girl is still in this proximity." The third shadow said. It sounded slightly nasally and slightly frightened.

I hadn't noticed but I was running alongside the shadows, only down on the sidewalk. My bag thumped against my leg as I felt my lungs begin to burn. I stopped and placed my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath. My eyes moved again to the street where their shadows kept moving. I let out a heavy sigh and straightened up. I needed to get home before I had another run-in with another idiot.