Chapter 5 - April O'Neil

I do not own 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' nor any characters affiliated with the series.

Chapter 5 - April O'Neil

*Dani*

I blinked open my eyes and stared up at the cement ceiling above me. A yawn escaped my lips as I stretched my arms above my head. I sat up slowly and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I held my breathe and listened to the silence that lay beyond the purple curtain that served as the door. It was almost too quiet. I quickly stood from the bed but then stopped and looked down in the clothes I still wore from yesterday. A small frown tugged on my lips and I knelt down to the ground and looked under the bed to find an old trunk. I pulled it out and opened it, relieved to find various shirts and pants as well as other items. I grabbed a pair of black jeans and a plain red long sleeve. The neck swooped down just low enough to reveal a small, jagged scar along my right collarbone. I had always assumed I got it from a spar at the dojo, but I now remembered that I had gotten it from a spar with Leo. One of his Katanas had swung a little too close. I sighed softly and left the room and walked into the main area. I glanced around looking for any signs of any of the brothers. Donnie wasn't at the computers, Mikey wasn't digging through the fridge, and Leo and Raph weren't fighting in the middle of it all. I felt a pang of worry hit my stomach, then I remembered what had happened last night. I made my way to the Ha'shi and sure enough when I peeked inside I heard Splinter's voice come out from the darkness.

"Ooh, eleven hours in the Ha'shi. Are you sure none of you want to tell me where you were last night?" Splinter said calmly and menacingly. My eyes widened slightly. I was asleep for eleven hours?

"How you holding up fellas?" Leo said in a strained voice, his arms and legs shaking as he kept his blue eyes trained on the eggs that balanced shakily on chopsticks.

Raph groaned slightly and clenched his teeth. "I ain't breaking if Donnie ain't breaking." His voice was so determined, and I had to stifle a giggle as I watched him struggle to knit. Raphael knitting, now that was a sight.

My eyes went to Donnie who spun slowly in a circle concentrating and bouncing the ping pong ball back and forth. "Experiencing intense nausea, but not breaking." A small whimper escaped his lips and then suddenly I smelled pizza.

"Guys?" Mikey spoke up. "I'm in the zone! There is literally nothing that could break me right now." Suddenly Splinter threw a pizza box on the table in the center of them and I smiled as Mikey's body began to shake. "Starting to break." He muttered out.

Splinter walked slowly around the table, his hand lingering on the box. "Of course you've all tasted the five-cheese pizza. But this, cheesemongers have speculated of its existence for centuries. Da Vinci's original masterpiece. I submit to you..." Splinter threw open the lid of the box and the pizza aroma filled the air. He spoke something in Italian and I felt my mouth water. "...the 99-cheese pizza."

Mikey's eyes were transfixed on the cheesy goodness and I swore I noticed the slightest bit of drool. "Oh! It's not possible."

"Mikey, it's a trap! A pizza with that variety of cheese is a culinary impossibility!" Donnie yelled, his voice was tight with concentration but full of desperation. I had to stop another laugh from leaving my throat. Splinter was only doing this to mess with them-and it was great!

"Shall I list the ingredients?" Splinter asked as he held a piece towards Mikey.

"Keep it together!" Donnie yelled again as Splinter began naming off various cheeses.

Mikey's face looked strained, as if he was going to break. Leo must have noticed because he called out next. "Mikey don't you do it!"

Splinter got closer with the pizza and I could tell Mikey was going to break, and he did. "All right, all right, all right!" He said breathlessly. "We left the lair because the Foot were taking hostages and we kicked some serious butt, and their was this girl named April O'Neil who took our picture," he gasped, "but we took care of it."

"Idiot." Raph muttered. I frowned in his direction then remembered that he didn't know I was there. I looked back to Splinter and was surprised to see his face fall.

"Oh, no, my worst fears have been realized." He was so quiet that I could barely hear.

"Don't worry about it!" Leo said trying to help Splinter. I stared in shock, Splinter knew they went out, why was he worried about the picture? "Donnie erased the picture! We're not in danger!"

Splinter looked at him, a little angry. "No. It's April O'Neil who's in danger!" I noticed Mikey reaching for the piece of pizza and had quickly swiped it from Splinter's hand. Splinter ignored him and addressed all the boys. "Find the girl. Bring her here!"

I took that as my cue to leave and I turned and quickly walked back to the kitchen. A small pang of hunger hit my stomach and my hand rested over my stomach. I sighed and approached the fridge, opening it quickly. My eyes widen at the sight of molded food and I screamed and slammed the door shut. I covered my mouth and nose with my hand and suppressed a shudder.

"Dani! Do you want a piece of pizza?" I heard Mikey call out as he and the other brothers walked in. I nodded gratefully and walked over taking the last piece of pizza. As I took my first bite my eyes locked with Raph's and his moved down to my scar. I saw a hint of anger flame in his eyes as he glanced towards Leo. My cheeks suddenly became warm and I quickly turned away from the brothers so they wouldn't see me blush. I finished of the pizza and sighed grateful that I finally got something in my stomach. I looks back to the brothers, knowing the blush faded from face. Mikey, Raph, and Leo all stood watching over Donnie's shoulder as he typed furiously on the computer. I walked over, keeping my eyes on the screen. Donnie was hacking into someone else's computer by creating a false website.

"Is that to get April O'Neil?" I asked softly. Donnie nodded but did not speak, he was concentrating on the task at hand. I crossed my arms and watched intently as the screened filled with numbers, letters, and symbols that sped by as he continued to type. Suddenly Donnie clicked one last key and the screen disappeared and went black.

"Done." He said simply as he stood up. "The computer will sound an alarm when she clicks the link and then we'll send her our message."

"How do you know she'll click the link?" Raph spoke up. My body tensed and I glanced next to me without turning my head to see him standing to my left. My throat began to feel tight as I looked back at Donnie. How did I not know I was standing so close to him?

"Because she'll want to. She wanted our picture, she wanted answers, well this fake link with give her the idea she'll find answers." Donnie said, narrowing his eyes slightly at Raph. I noticed Donnie's eyes go to me for a moment then back to Raph as if he was trying to figure out why we stood next to each. I shifted a step away from Raph and Donnie gave me a small smile. I smiled back and didn't dare glance at Raph, but I could tell he had puffed up with a big breath. Something he only does when he's angry or jealous. After making sure the link really did work I turned and walked away from the brothers, I needed a little time to myself. I walked towards the tunnel that exited the sewers, but I knew someone was following me. I glanced behind me to see Donnie standing with a concerned look in his eyes.

"Can we just talk later?" I said quietly. "I need some time to myself..."

"Alright, as long as you promise we'll talk. I can tell what's bothering you and I want to help." That was all he said before he turned from me and left me on my own.

I had spent a good hour up on a rooftop, watching as the sun began to hide behind the horizon. Reluctantly I started my trek back to the brothers. I secretly hoped that they wouldn't be there so I could talk to Splinter on my own. I climbed down the side of the building and pulled the sewer cover away and jumped down, my sneakers landing in a small puddle of rain water. I groaned softly but began walking, my thumbs hooked in my jean pockets. I walked for only a few more minutes before I was climbing down the ladder in the dojo. I walked to the main room only to stop in my tracks. The brothers all stood off to the side and a girl sat on the floor in front of Splinter who sat on a plush cushion. She wore a yellow t-shirt with a white long sleeve underneath, a pair of jean shorts and black leggings and a pair of black boots. Her orange hair was pulled into a ponytail and she wore a yellow headband. I raised an eyebrow as I watched in silence. This must be April O'Neil. The Hogosha.