Chapter 1

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I watch contently as Owen trains with the raptors. I see the raptors chase a pig as it gets to a gate and it closes. "Hold!" Owen calls, making them all stop abruptly. "Hey! Okay! Eyes on me! Blue?" He holds his hand up, and presses the clicker repeatedly. "Blue! Watch it. Charlie. Hey! Don't give me that shit! Delta! Lock it up! Good! And we're moving." He walks over to bucket holding the rats. "Hold!" I look at him in admiration. We'd been working together for awhile, and it was no secret that I've grown feelings for Owen. Except to Owen of course. "That's good. That is damn good. Very good! See, Charlie, that's what you get! Echo, there you go! Delta! Blue? This one's for you." He throws the final rat treat to Blue. "Hold! Eyes up!" The stare at him, rigid. "Go," and then they race off.

With a laugh I go up to the platform, Barry behind me. "You keep ogling Owen, and he'll notice." He teases. "Shut up." I laugh. "You finally did it, man." Barry calls when we get there. "Yeah, but wait till I'm up there. I'll give Owen a run for his money." I joke, making Owen smile a little. Our moods all dissipate as Hoskins appears next to us. "Owen. I was starting to think I hired the wrong guys, but, damn, you got them eating out of your palm." He says. I roll my eyes. "That's not how it works." I say. He looks at me. "No offense sweetheart, but I think I know more then you." Filled with anger, I get in his face. "Full offense, dipshit, but I work with these animals too, and know a hell of a lot more then you think you do. You're not the one down here everyday." I growl. "You came on a good day. It's not usually a happy ending." Owen says, pulling me back a bit by my shoulder. I see the faintest trace of a smile on his lips.

"Is that why you're not sending in your reports?" Hoskins asks. "We've been busy."

"Not too busy to cash your paychecks."

"What do you need, buddy?"

"A field test. Hey. I've just seen they can respond to commands. We need to take the research and get it on its feet."

"They are not field animals, Hoskins. They aren't being controlled. Get that through your thick skull." I tell him. "These are wild animals. Trust me, you don't want them in the field." Owen adds. "I just saw a bond. A real bond. Between man and beast."
Hoskins blocks Owen from leaving. "You're in my way." He growls. "Come on. We're the same. We're dogs of war. We know that the military needs to reduce casualties. Some people think that robots are the future. Look, nature gave us the most effective killing machines 75 million years ago. And now we know they can take orders."

"Oh my god, are you deaf? They aren't soliders taking orders. That'd be like sending in unpredictable tigers." I say snidely. "We finally make progress and that's the first thing he says? Make a weapon?" Barry inputs. "Shit. Come on, gents. It's grown-up time. Drones can't search tunnels and caves. And they're hackable. The minute a real war breaks out, all that fancy tech is gonna go dark." Hoskins tries to argue. "But that tech's not gonna eat them if they forget to feed it." Owen retorts. "Look at these creatures. They've got millions of years of instinct in their cells, instinct that we can program. Their loyalty can not be bought. These guys are gonna run straight into the enemy's teeth and eat them, belt buckle and all."

"Yeah, and then turn around and eat the side their fighting on. This isn't negotiable, Hoskins. They aren't trained dog. They're wild. They can't be trained or commanded. All those years of instinct? That's what they're gonna think about as they're tearing their team into shreds once their trust is broken. They're the ones who are gonna want to be in control." I point out, shoving his shoulder a bit.

"Well, then we remind them who is. We terminate the rogues. Promote only loyal bloodlines." Owen and I start laughing. "What? What's so funny?"

"I don't know. You come here and you don't learn anything about these animals except what you want to know. You made them, and now you think you own them." Owen replies. "We do own them. Extinct animals have no rights." Hoskins retorts. I chuckle. "Oh honey...they aren't extinct anymore now, are they?" I ask with false sweetness. "Exactly. We're sitting on a goldmine and Masrani is using it to stock a petting zoo. He just wants to teach people some humility. He doesn't make weapons. You think that the eighth richest man in the world is only into oil, telecom, and family fun parks? He's so diversified, he doesn't even know what he owns." Hoskins rants. "Well at least Masrani has some sense." I mumble.

"How long has InGen been practicing this pitch?" Owen asks. "Since the day we hired you out of the Navy. You knew the end game (nervous marvel fan sweating). These animals can replace thousands of boots on the ground. How many lives would that save? War is part of nature. Look around, Owen. Every living thing in this jungle is trying to murder the other. Mother Nature's way of testing her creations. Refining the pecking order. War is a struggle. Struggle breeds greatness. Without that, we end up with places like this, charging seven bucks a soda."

"Do you hear yourself when you talk?" I ask, making Owen snort. "This is gonna happen. With or without you boys. Progress always wins, man."

"Maybe progress should lose for once." Owen points out. "Come back when you're going to actually talk to us, or me for that matter. With how much you've ignored me, I'd be surprised if you'd ever gotten laid." Before he can protest, a shout rings out. "Pig loose! Pig loose!" The new employee tries to catch the pig, but a raptor grabs it once the noose is on it, making the kid fall into the paddock. "Shit!" I mumble, racing down to the gate. I open it, and rush in front of the kid. "(Y/n), no!" Barry calls. "(Y/n), get back here." Owen whisper yells. "With all due respect, Owen, shut up." I say back to him. I notice two rangers aim their guns at the raptors, making the animals shriek and hiss. "Oh no, no, hold your fire. Hold your fire, do not fire!" I command, walking closer to the raptors as the kid moves backwards towards the gate.

The raptors all stare at me, still making noise as if trying to convey dominance. Unlike Hoskins, I know who holds the power here. "Put 12 amps in these animals, they're never gonna to trust us again." I call up to the rangers again, who still haven't lowered their weapons. Blue, being the one in charge, snaps forward. "Blue, stand down. Stand down." I command, keeping a steady voice. She snaps at me again.

"Hey, hey! What did I just say? Delta, I see you. Back up." Delta snarls, but she backs up. "Okay, good. Good. Charlie? Stay right there. Good." I praise. "Close the gate." I tell Barry. "Are you crazy?" He retorts. "That's suicide, (Y/n), get back here." Owen adds. "Just shut up, and trust me. Close the gate!" I reiterate. I slowly back up to the gate. At the last possible second, I hurriedly drop down and roll underneath as the gate slams shut. The raptors try to follow, but ram their heads into the metal. I let out a relieved sigh. Owen comes over, helping me stand up. I try to not let my cheeks turn pink. "I'm okay." I reassure. "That was stupid."

"Nah, it was fun." I joke. He rolls his eyes, but then looks at the kid still sitting next to the gate. "You're the new guy, right?"

"Yeah."

"You ever wonder why there was a job opening? Don't ever turn your back to the cage." We walk away, a small chuckle in our throats. "Way to scar that kid forever." I tease. "Well, maybe he needs to be scared. You can't always be saving his ass." Owen argues. I check the time on my watch. "Ah shoot, I got to go." I groan. "Why?"

"I have to go meet Claire. Our nephews are coming to visit today. Today is Claire's day. She insisted on it, though I really think she only did so to prove she can. Anyways, I still want to see them. I'll catch you later?" I ask. "Whoa whoa whoa, Claire's your sister?" He asks. I laugh. "You didn't know? I don't know how. It's not like we're complete opposites or anything." I say sarcastically. He chuckles a little. "See ya, Owen." As I go to my motorbike to get back to the plaza, all I can think about is how cute his laugh is.