e x c e r p t

~

"I don't mean to pry, but isn't this a little out of your comfort zone?"

Alecia looks up at him in a confused manner. "What do you mean by that?" she retorts harshly. Her arms were now folded underneath her breasts, pushing them up farther into Jayson's eyesight.

Jayson takes a nervous gulp and fixes his tie before continuing. "Well, I mean," he pauses for a moment trying to think of what to say "someone like you to be wound up in a job like this" he finishes furrowing his eyebrows together, seeming confused by his own words. As if seeming that it was not what he meant to say.

Alecia is very unimpressed and borderline offended that he had the nerve to even question her ability, especially when it comes to business.

"Someone like me? You mean someone who has a masters degree in business administration, someone like that? Out of their comfort zone in an office. Oh, or did you mean someone like me regarding my skin colour?" she spits. If steam were able to come out of her ears, Jayson would be seeing it alright.

"N-no, God no. I just—"

"Assumed that I'd be dumb as shit and not qualified to be Chief Financial Officer? Let me tell you something Mr. Rowe," she says pointing her finger towards him, her other hand fisted into a small tight ball, "I did not work as long and as hard as I did to have some white man tell me where my comfort zone lies. Now I know I may be something you fear - a black woman with power, but I am not your enemy. I would appreciate if you'd show me some respect considering you're the new one around here." she said in an exasperated manner.

Jayson was taken aback from the reprimanding he had just received and felt no less of a fool. He had just been put in his place, but he kind of liked it? Ms. Manley was right, he is the new one around here and he needs to start showing the previous employees respect, starting with her.

Before he could apologise, Alecia was turning the door handle to leave. Not saying another word. As Jayson replayed the whole situation in his head, he wanted to slap himself in his face. 'Someone like her?' What was he thinking? Clearly he wasn't thinking at all.

~