Part 1 - All I Think About Is You.

2018

2018

On our two year anniversary, Joel proposed. He took me out to dinner at my favourite restaurant, looked terrified the entire meal and barely ate, then we huddled together and walked along the southern bank of the Thames - which I loved to do. Outside of the Tate Modern, with the sound of someone busking playing the violin nearby, pretty lights strung through the trees, and the London skyline lit up behind him, he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.

And I said yes.

Joel made me so happy, and I loved him, so why would I turn that down? He was my chance at the kind of relationship I'd always wanted, the one I'd thought I was going to get when I married Will. The one I'd foolishly allowed myself to think Harry and I could have had.

-

The following night, the two of us went to Will and Terry's Stag/Halloween party together, and although we had said we didn't want to tell anybody - so we didn't steal the stags' thunder - I just couldn't keep the news to myself. Eventually, Joel and I pulled Rose, Dee, Will, and Terry to one side, and I produced the white gold and blue sapphire ring, wiggling my ring finger so the stone would sparkle.

Rose, Dee, and Terry were absolutely thrilled! There were lots of hugs, pats on the shoulder, and words of genuine congratulations. Rose was tearful as she hugged me, squeezing me tightly as we rocked from side to side.

"I knew you'd say yes! I am so bloody happy for you both." Parting, she asked, "Are you happy?"

"I'm really happy," I beamed, glancing at Joel as he hugged Terry. "He's so wonderful."

"Good." Her bottom lip wobbled before she dragged me into another hug. "You deserve this, Lil, you deserve someone who loves you like he does."

When Will came close, we hugged, but it felt off on his part - subdued. For a moment, a thought crossed my mind that perhaps he was jealous or sad, but that didn't make sense, so I knew it had to be something else. He'd been so encouraging about Joel and me, so I was confused by his lack of enthusiasm.

"Congratulations, Layla," he muttered in my ear, not really sounding like he was even close to being congratulatory.

"Thank you?"

Quickly pulling away and looking at me seriously, his hands remained on my upper arms, and his lips formed a tight line. We continued to stand awkwardly for a moment until he gestured towards the large sliding doors that led outside. I hesitated, unsure I wanted to leave the party and get into whatever Will was about to spring on me, but curiosity got the better of me; I wanted to know why he seemed so lacklustre about my engagement.

Outside in the cold, apart from a few people smoking at the bottom of the garden, Will and I were mostly alone. The air fogged out of his mouth as he exhaled heavily like he was building up the nerve to poke a wasps nest. I, apparently, was the nest.