Epilogue - All At Sea

Harry

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Harry

Christmas 2018

Terry Daniels-French

Hello Harry, it's Terry, I hope you're well? Are you in London?

I frowned at the message, unsure why he was texting me out of the blue. It had been months since I'd heard from him properly, and I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to get involved with any of Layla's friends again - not after last time. However, as tempting as it was to ignore him and not head down that path again, curiosity got the better of me.

Harry

Hi, I just got back yesterday.

Everything OK?

Inevitably, my mind turned to Layla, and our disastrous - and I use this term very loosely - reconciliation. I should have stayed away when I found out about her engagement, I shouldn't have answered her drunk text or let her come to the house, and I should have definitely turned down Terry's invitation to his house. I shouldn't have offered to drive her home that night, and I definitely shouldn't have followed her to her house and kissed her. However, this clarity came as a wonderful accompaniment to hindsight, and as the weeks passed without either one of us making any attempt to contact each other, I finally realised that she truly hadn't been ready to see or speak to me. I'd known that the minute I walked out of her house after her taking one jibe too many at me.

At long last, I'd reconciled with the fact that Layla was probably never going to forgive me for what I had done, and that we were never going to be together again; she was never going to need me like I needed her. My whole chest ached and burned whenever I thought about it, and I regretted not being patient, but then, on the other hand, if I hadn't seen her again, she might have ended up married to Joel, and that would have been worse. Right?

Terry

I know it's a bit short notice, but are you home? I'm in the area.

I'd had plans to see Nick, but he'd cancelled a few hours before claiming he wasn't feeling too well. I hesitated, wondering if I should just pretend I hadn't seen Terry's message or tell him I was busy. Was he with Will? Was there something wrong? Had something happened to Layla? Did she get back together with Joel?

I felt my stomach knot at the thought of her and him eloping - a quick Christmas wedding which they'd only tell people about with a picture of their hands together, with new, matching rings. She'd look at him with the sweetest, loving gaze, her smile would be wide and so warm, and he would be the luckiest man in the world.

Curiosity won.

Harry

I'm home.