Chapter 13

Skylar's POV

I quickly walked out of the room, memories still flashing through my brain. I found a small bathroom and locked myself in it. I quickly walked over to the sink and grabbed it tightly, trying to calm myself down. I was breathing heavily and my hands were shaking. I closed my eyes shut tightly. I could remember now. Marcus, the drink, the party, the capture. I now remembered how I got to WCKD in the first place. My breathing finally began to slow down. I looked up to the mirror over the sink. It was the first time I had actually seen what I looked like. I was a mess. My long sleeve shirt dirty from its journey, my face covered in dust and dirt, and my hair, which was originally in a tight ponytail, sagged a measurable amount. I had so many flyaways on my head, it annoyed me. I decided to change while I calmed down. I washed my face and my hands, changed my clothes, and pulled my hair back into a tight ponytail. I felt much better. I grabbed my leather jacket and put it on over the black tank top I was wearing.

     Just keep the jacket on and you'll be fine. I assured myself as I looked at myself in the mirror. I grabbed my dirty clothes, shoved them in my bag, and slung my bag over my shoulder. I took one last look at myself in the mirror before unlocking the door and returning to the group.

Third POV

The group prepared to continue on their journey to the Right Arm, grabbing their bags and jackets. Skylar still hadn't returned. When everyone was ready to leave Newt spoke up. "I'll go see if I can find Skylar." When he turned to leave, Skylar walked back in the room. She had fixed her hair back into a fresh ponytail and had replaced her long sleeve shirt with a black tank top. She cleaned up nice. She had her leather jacket on and her bag slung on her shoulder. She stood there with her stone expression on her face. She looked at no one in particular as they all looked at her in silence.

"Okay let's go." Jorge broke the silence. He ushered everyone out of the room. They piled into Marcus' truck and started to drive to find the Right Arm. Skylar sat in the second row next to the door on the left hand side. Thomas sat on her right, Minho over by the door on the right hand side, Teresa, Aris, Fry, and Brenda in the way back, Newt in the passenger's seat, and Jorge driving the wheel.

After a while, Skylar started to get tired. She tried her best to stay awake but she hadn't had sleep in days. She eventually gave in and fell asleep against the car window, her head resting on her arm. They drove for hours and hours in silence. Newt glanced back Skylar to see her fast asleep. He smiled slightly at the fact that she finally got some rest after days of no sleep. Thomas saw Skylar flinch in her sleep a couple of times. He glanced over at her every once in a while, realizing that her eyebrows were furrowed and her lips slightly trembled as she slept. More hours went by as they drove into the mountains. They followed a single road until they were forced to stop. The road was blocked by abandoned cars. Jorge and Newt got out of the truck and took in the situation for a moment. "Well," Jorge finally said, "I guess we're on foot." Newt went back to the truck to inform the others. He opened the car door on Minho's side.

"We'll have to continue on foot." He explained to them all. Minho got out of the truck. Thomas turned to Skylar. She was still sleeping but she had the disturbed look on her face still. Thomas realized that her breathing was uneven. He gently put his hand on her shoulder.

"Skylar?" He said. She didn't move. "Hey, Skylar. We gotta get out." He then put his other hand on her lower arm and started to gently shake her shoulder. "Skyl-", Skylar woke up with a start, screaming and gasping for air as if she had been underwater. Newt quickly stuck his head inside the car to see what was going on. Skylar started to slap Thomas' hands away, continuing to scream. "Woah woah-Skylar Skylar! It's okay it's okay!" Thomas tried to sooth her while trying to grab her shoulders. She finally looked at him and realized what she was doing. She stopped and started to try and calm down her breathing. "You okay?" Thomas asked. Skylar was looking past Thomas at nothing in particular, her eyes wide. She slowly nodded to him. "Okay. We're getting out of the truck. The road's blocked, we have to walk the rest of the way." She nodded again, still not looking at him. "Okay." Thomas and Skylar got out of the truck and joined the others. They all stood and looked at their surroundings. Newt went up to Thomas.