Chapter Eight

Bar was true to his word sending Vee and Mark to several more meetings together. Some with clients, some with investors, and some with inventors. Mark was very nervous in the beginning having to talk to strangers and having to do so whilst appearing confident, but he got through it with Vee's support. Vee would do most of the talking until Mark started to feel more comfortable in the other peoples' presence then, when Mark actually started speaking, he would make sure to touch him. Often just a hand on Mark's thigh or back to provide comfort. Mark didn't seem bothered by the touch; he didn't mention it in any way nor did his body language indicate it was unwanted.

It was after a particularly stressful meeting that Mark reached out for Vee's support rather than just receiving it. The investor had been brash and loud with no understanding of technology and Mark had struggled to explain things in a way the investor could grasp. This difficulty was exacerbated by the investor's hubris; he believed he was the smartest in the room, which he definitely was not. Once the investor left, Mark grabbed hold of Vee's arm. Fine trembles ran down his body as the adrenaline in his veins took over.

"Mark, you okay?"

"That was horrible," Mark breathed, dropping his head against Vee's shoulder.

Vee smiled, his heart thumping. He was enjoying having Mark pressed up against him, especially since it meant Mark was comforted by Vee. With a soft hum, Vee gently stroked the back of Mark's head.

"Yeah, that guy was awful. You did well even though he was so rude to you. I had half a mind to punch him."

Mark laughed, "That wouldn't have been good."

"He would have more than deserved it though."

"Maybe," Mark sighed, "Ugh, I'm all jittery now."

"Mmm, it's not that late. We could go have some fun."

Mark raised a suspicious eyebrow at Vee, murmuring, "What did you have in mind?"

"Going to see a movie or something?"

Mark wouldn't mind going to the cinema but he kind of wanted to burn off some of his excess nervous energy. That's when Mark had an idea. He knew what he wanted to do, and he was going to make Vee join him. It would be funny to see the charming executive in this situation. Vee would either let loose, which Mark hadn't seen him do yet, or he would remain strait-laced and that would just be hilarious.

"I know what we can do," Mark whispered, with a teasing grin, not realising he was almost giving Vee a heart attack.

Vee allowed himself to be dragged to his own car as he desperately tried to figure out what Mark meant. What Mark had said sounded flirty to Vee, especially when paired with the sly quirk of Mark's lips. It wasn't though. It couldn't be, right?

"What are we doing?" Vee asked, his voice a little shaky.

"You'll just have to find out when we get there."

"But I'm going to be driving. I need to know."

"I'll give you directions. Just get in," Mark ordered, pushing Vee into the driver's seat.

Once Mark had climbed in and safely strapped himself in his seatbelt, Vee started the car. The drive was not quiet as Mark adamantly refused to tell Vee where they were going. Vee was getting more and more frustrated; Mark was not good at giving directions. He would either tell him to turn way too early or too late. Vee had to keep winding his way back.

"I said turn left after this street, not turn down this street!" Mark exclaimed, slapping his palm on the dashboard.

"No, you didn't! You said turn left!"

"Ugh, whatever. Just go back again and go down the right street."

"The right street?"

"No! The left street."

"Why did you say right then?"

"I meant right as in correct. Not right as in direction."

Finally, they arrived in the parking lot in the commercial area Mark had tried to direct him to. Once Vee had parked and shut off the car, he sat back in his seat, trying to calm down. He was a little surprised when Mark started to giggle next to him. Vee gave Mark a confused look which just made Mark burst out in another load of uncontrollable giggles.

"We suck. That was honestly my worst experience as navigator," Mark panted out, "But we made it."

"Yeah, we turned a 15-minute drive into a 45-minute harrowing journey," Vee began to chuckle to himself, swiping a hand through his hair.

"You really can't follow instructions, can you?"

"Oho! It's my fault is it? You're the one who can't give clear, timely instructions."

"Okay, okay. Let's agree that we're both terrible."

"Fine. But you're worse."

Mark rolled his eyes at Vee's teasing comment but did not continue their playful argument. He didn't want to push it too far and end up actually arguing. It would be all fun and games until one of them said something that would actually hurt.

"Come on," Mark murmured, climbing out of the door.

"So where are we going?" Vee asked as they began to walk.

Mark just smiled, putting a finger to his lips in a shushing gesture.

"Mark, you're still not telling me?"

Mark halted in his tracks, turning to smirk at Vee.

"Look up, idiot."

Vee glanced up at the sign on the building Mark had stopped in front of.

"Lasertag?"

"Ever played before?"

"No."

"Do you want to?"

"I guess."

Laughing, Mark leaned over and grabbed Vee's hand, pulling him into the building. With sparkling eyes crinkled in happiness, Mark sent Vee a big, reassuring smile and gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

"You'll like it, I promise."