(Ram Sweeny) Restart

Ram's POV

My dad got some promotion to work in the UK. So this was it, I was leaving the country for senior year. You would think I'd be devastated at leaving Westerburg or Kurt or the Heathers but honestly, I couldn't have been happier.

I spent the last few days of junior year just saying goodbye to everyone but something didn't feel right. I hated what I did there. I hated how I would be remembered. And so, I got a bunch of chocolates and wrote little sorry messages. To the nerds, band geeks, just generally unpopular students and lastly Martha Dunnstock.

She had it the worst out of everyone in school. I figured if there was anyone I owed an apology to, it was her. I made sure to do it on the last day of school so that I wouldn't get any questions, then I cut all my ties with Westerburg.

In moving to Liverpool, I would become a new Ram Sweeney. I would completely start over. You see, when you're a popular guy it's easy to get carried away which I'll admit is my fault. But then you end up with a reputation and when it's the same as every other popular guy, trying to change your reputation would result in losing your popularity.

It's weird how if you want to make a difference, you need to have been different from the start. I've seen the way ex-popular people get ripped to shreds and I was never ready to become that. Now that I'll never see Sherwood Ohio ever again, I don't have to worry about that from them.

Moving is nice, especially out of the country. This is because you don't have a reputation yet because no one knows you. Whoever you wanted to be but couldn't be at your old school, you can become that at your new school. Picture this, you have the opportunity to choose a name for yourself with experience of how high school works.

All of those 'What I wish I knew before high school' tips that you come up with, you can use while being completely new and unknown.

As excited as I was, I was also nervous. I was nervous that I would become someone's yes man again, nervous that everyone would hate me or nervous that somehow the past would be back in my life. Still, I hopped on a plane and flew off to the beginning of my new life.

I spent the next few weeks getting accustomed to my surroundings. I figured it would be important to know where school was, where the best hangout spots were and of course where the nearest McDonalds was.

I met my neighbours and most of them were people my dad's age with no kids but one family stuck out to me. This was because there was a beautiful girl who looked around my age who lived there. If I'm being honest, I was kinda scared to meet her, scared that I would act like my old self. They always say that old habits die hard

Still in the weeks leading up to senior year, I would see her going out for walks with a boy who also looked our age. He had bright purple hair. It seemed like they lived together so I assumed he was her brother. They kinda looked alike but maybe that was me hoping that they were brother and sister.

What difference did it make if was not letting myself see her? Someone like her was probably too good for someone like me anyway.

I was excited for what senior year had in store for me. Without a reputation to uphold, I could put more effort into my grades, chose which parties I go to and have a decent dating life maybe even true love.

Now there I was, September 1st 1989, the first day of senior year or year 13 as they call it and I was more excited and nervous than I had ever been. Literally the second I walked in I bumped into someone and just my luck, it's the pretty girl I've been avoiding.

"Hey, I'm sorry I should've watched where I was going."
"No, it's okay. I don't think I've seen you around here."
"Uh, I-Uh I just moved here from America."
"Yeah, I knew that accent was American!" She laughed and that laugh was probably the best thing I've ever heard.