Trouble With Red Hair

Melody makes her way across the land of the Twilight Drive-in to the projection booth. Once she reaches the door, she bangs her fist against it. "Yo, Jones! Open up!"

Usually, you'd find FP's kid, Jughead, on the Northside with his Northside friends. However, this summer they spent their vacations separately. This made Melody happy, because she could spend more time with her favorite cousin.

Jughead opens the door and looks at Melody groggily annoyed. His raven hair in a tangled mess. To cheer him up, she holds up a bag of food and a cup holder with two shakes, all labeled "Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe". This wakes him up and invite her inside.

Melody sits on the chair across from Jughead's bed pallet. He sits on his pallet and reaches out as his cousin hands him a few burgers, fries, and his favorite milkshake, mint chocolate chip. "I, honestly, didn't think you'd be here, Sythe. Didn't you say you were going on a road trip with that Andrews kid tomorrow?"

Sythe was a name only Melody called Jughead Jones. It's a nickname for his real name, Forsythe. He is actually Forsythe the third. Named after his father and grandfather. Jughead allowed Melody to call him Sythe because she was family, and because she refused to call him anything else.

Jughead shakes his head. "Kid? Mel, you're only a few months older than him. Secondly, no. He bailed last minute. So, here I am."

"What? Why didn't you call me sooner? I would have came by yesterday." Mel says with her mouth full of fries.

"It's not that big of a deal, Mel. You're here now." He lifts up his burger with a closed lip grin. "With Pop's no less. So, I think this makes up for it." This causes the cousins to share a laugh. After they quiet down, Jughead leans back against the wall. "So, how is your family?"

A deep sigh leaves Melody's lips. "Gunner is fine. He still has the luxury of being a kid. My mom is working two jobs to keep me from working Serpent jobs to help."

"She loves you, Mel. She is just trying to protect you." The young Jones says sympathetically.

"I know, Sythe. I just hate to see her so stressed and exhausted. She doesn't know this, but I know that she cries out to my dad at night. Wishing she didn't have to do it alone." Her eyes sadden. "I miss my dad too. I want to help so badly, but I know the way I get money will only upset her more. She says my only job is going to school and protecting Gunner."

"It's all you should have to do, Melody. You're just a kid yourself. You are only 16. You still have a few years to go until you should be worrying about that stuff." Jughead tries to reason.

Melody scoffs. "Thank you, Grandpa Jones." After a long silence, Melody rolls her eyes. "Will you just ask, Forsythe?"

Jughead focuses harder on his food. "I don't know what you mean."

Melody crosses her arms and lean back into her chair unimpressed. "Don't give me that shit, Jones. He is still your father. Drunk or not."

He gives a challenging look, but soon gives in knowing he won't win against her. "Is he at least taking care of himself?"

Melody stands and forces him to scoot over so she can sit next to him. "You know my mom would never let him drown fully. Even FP Jones can't say no to Anastasia Harland." She turns her face towards him. "Once every two weeks, we go clean his trailer and take half of his booze. She knows his hiding spots." They share a smirk at this statement.

Melody looks back down as she picks her nails nervously. "I've been taking jobs, Sythe." She admits quietly.

This makes Jughead snap his head to his cousin in surprise and disappointment. "Mel...."