5

Half sick of shadows

The blazing afternoon sun shone brightly down on Regent Park. Seren was stood by the waters she held; in one hand a copy of  Heart of Darkness in the other and the other a honey and butter sandwich - making it extremely difficult to turn the page. She was stuck in a tough spot: to eat or to find out what happened to Marlow's steamboat. Decided she flipped open the lid of her picnic basket and slipped in the book next to the pots of jam and lemon cordial. Food was always top priority. 

Some of the younger Shadowhunter's were floating little boats on the water - white with thick sails that resembled swans. Luckily for James' sake, the water was free of birds, the Herondale men had a strange phobia of ducks - well at least the men did-Anatidaephobia, it was called. Shadowhunter's didn't believe in phobia's it was mundane medical speak.

There were Shadowhunter's dotted around every inch of the park, Shadowhunter's girls in pastel day dresses sat on brightly coloured cotton picnic blankets boys in white rowing shorts - but Seren had her eye out for a particular duo. She cast her eyes around from York gate back to the pond but there was no sight of blonde hair or gold yellow eyes. Of course, Mathew would make a point of her turning up on time only to be late himself. At least he'd been honest in saying everybody would be there she caught sight of a few paces away from and drifted away before Rosamund and her gaggle made their way over to her little spot.

"I know they say three's a crowd, but I've always thought of a crowd as extra company. Mind if I join, I presume this is your spread Cordelia?"

"Oh yes please do, the more the merrier." Cordelia smiled, if she was looking to make friends with the connections to help her father Seren wouldn't the most powerful allie with both her parents dead and her aunt being the way she was meant Seren had few connections to the council. Maybe she couldn't offer her father much help but it didn't matter too much to Cordelia, Seren seemed nice and a friendly face was always good.

"This is a mighty spread you have Cordelia and here I was prepared to offer my basket as a bribe if you said no - It's not nearly as good as yours but I do have macaroons." Seren sank down beside Anna and retrieved a pastel pink striped paper bag from her wicker picnic basket. She tore the bag slightly and revealed a dozen multicoloured macaroons, Cordelia almost squealed "I haven't seen one of these since France!" Cordelia picked up a lavender flavour Macaroon the same pale blue as Anna's line shirt.

"I got them from the bakery across from on Rue de paix." She smiled at Cordelia, so she had known about store the whole time and played dumb yesterday. Cordelia couldn't help but wonder why. Had she known how Catherine and Rosamund would react ? "You know the whole time I was there I longed to come home, and now I'm back all I dream of is the Soupe á l'oignon, Flamiche, Tarte Tatin."

"Well don't be in a hurry to go back two months was long enough I missed my tea partner." Anna said."Seren makes the best tea you'll ever taste Cordelia."

"It's all about the brewing time – 4 minutes at 212 degrees then add milk. Always last, never first."

"She pulls out a thermometer and everything it's quite a show. " Anna added.

"A show I'd love to see."  Cordelia chimed.

"Good because I'd like to invite you to tea at my flat, Cordelia Carstairs- there are some matters we should discuss. Seren you too; I need someone to make the tea. "

Cordelia was stunned. What did the glamourous Anna lightwood have to discuss with her? And why did, Seren who struck have to be there. Sure, Anna had said she made a brilliant cup of tea but surely, she was capable of making putting tea leaves in a teapot herself. A thought crossed her mind; what if it was to do with her father but before she could pose the question, she noticed Anna had turned away and was gesturing at two figures in the distance to come over.