10

No strange land pt 2

As soon as they entered the Saloon, Seren was dragged off by a green skinned fae boy, who's spiked hair resembled blades of grass. Stood in the corner of the main Saloon room, they looked like old friends but in reality they had only met on a few occasions, most of which Seren had been dizzy with drink. "I haven't seen you in a while." He told her.

"It's always nice to know, I was missed." In an attempt to charm, she placed a kiss on his cheek.
When she backed away she saw his skin was flushed a dark green, the colour of his blood.

"I began to worry you'd dropped dead the way mortals often do." He said.

Seren hated the way the fair folk, loved to remind humans of their mortality. It was left her feeling bitter that so long as they kept their enemies few they could live forever whereas her life could end at any moment. Though she couldn't show it. "And that thought saddened you?" She rose a brow.

"Very much so, if you were to die I'd rather your final moments be with me. Isn't that a wondrous thought?"

She felt bile rise up her throat. They clearly had different definitions of what wondrous was.

"I was in France." She rushed quick to change the topic.

The conversation shifted, the boy went on to talk of his own time in Paris over a century ago. He told Seren of his lovers all over the city and how they didn't even come close to her beauty. He spoke about faerie revels as if they were some sort of spectacular ball and not a dance that left mundanes dancing for days on calloused bleeding feet. And when she tried to mention yesterday's attack he hushed her and spoke of how bright the stars were in the land under the hill.

Seren found herself searching desperately, for those peculiar eyes that held a million different shades of green. She gulped down the last of her champagne, then handed thrust the empty glass in the boys hand.
"I'm sorry, my friends are calling me."

He looked round suspiciously so she pointed to a group of randoms, then turned to slip away. Only to find a hand tight on wrist," I mean it, you're beautiful." His voice pinning and desperate.

"I know, you meant but I must go they aren't a patient bunch." She gave a sympathetic smile.Of course she knew, fairies couldn't lie but it didn't change a thing.

***

Matthew was stood laughing with Cordelia but when Seren approached the humour seemed to drain from his face. "Thank goodness I found you two,who'd have thought fae could drone on for so long."

"We've only been here five minutes." Cordelia laughed.

" oh but It felt like, 20 long and tiresome years." She groaned .

"I pressume, you didn't get any answer about the attacks." Matthew said. He knew her well, if she had come across new information she would have blurted it out the first chance she got.

Seren shook her head, taking up another glass of champagne from a passing waiter. "No, but he was very complimentary. Offered my hearts desires for a night in faerie. I only hope he meant all he wanted from me was a dance partner for a reveal. Though I've never heard of a human leaving a reveal after a single night at least not in one piece." She grimaced.

"I've never heard of a faerie being so taken by a mortal," Cordelia confessed "not when they're so -"

"Unworldly." Seren said with a giggle, she supposed it was flattering. "He said he thought I was beautiful. He said it many times and he said that he meant it, with all his heart. But I don't know what my heart desires. All I know is I'm just certain it's not dancing to myself half to death at a faerie revel."