12

The first-floor hallway shone white with the shimmering glow of witchlights. Seren had expected the institute to be fast asleep by now, but the sound of Will's voice escaped through the pallor door singing a Welsh hymn.

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus,
Aur y byd na'i berlau mân:
Gofyn wyf am galon hapus,
Calon onest, calon lân.

A lump formed in her throat, like hot coal. She could hear her mother's voice alongside Will's a sweet as it'd ever been. She found herself edging forward till Lucie pulled her back, a look of concern plastered on her face. "Your father has a captivating voice, are you sure there's no Sirens bloodline?" Seren said with a lightness to her voice, that did nothing for Lucie's worry.

"I'm certain." She and James exchanged a look. Their father was in a sociable mood and would seize them all as his eyes caught sight of them. On normal occasions this wouldn't be an issue, Will Herondale always told the most magnificent tales of Wales and his glory days. Seren could listen for hours, with each  tale of the green hills and maritime cliffs. With each story she'd try to imagine her own parents fresh faced and doe eyed, she regretted not listening to them while they were still here so she'd always cling to Will's every word.Tonight just wasn't the night for storytime, something Lucie wasn't sure Seren and her wandering feet had realised.

Noticing Lucie's expression she broke free from her head. The reality of what happened tonight dawned on her there'd be no time for Will's stories." Is there no other way in ?" She said in a low voice, eyes darting between Lucie and James.

"Perhaps," James whispered, "we could all swiftly exit and ascend to an upper chamber using a window and a grappling hook."

Seren was all for the idea but Tessa, who'd had just appeared in the doorway of the drawing room, didn't look too keen. She coughed and raised a brow at the six of them. James and Lucie shared another look - It was too late for the grappling hook.

Lucie stepped forward as innocent as a lamb and slid an arm around her mother's waist. "Sorry, Mam, we had a late picnic down by the river. Are we in trouble?" It seemed both her and James were a masterful liars.

Tessa smiled. "You are all scamps, but I hope you enjoyed yourselves. We can discuss this later. Your father has a guest. Go in and introduce yourselves. I'll just pop up to the infirmary and be back."

James led their expedition into the parlor. In the parlor, sitting upon two matched gray velvet wing-backed chairs, were Will and a tall green warlock with horns curling in his snowy hair. He wore a gloomy expression. Hypatia had been true to her word.

Will made the introductions. "Ragnor Fell, my beloved son and daughter. Also a disgraceful pack of home invaders."

"Correction a disgracful pack of remember welcomed guests the institute is open to all." Seren said, " mi casa es su casa as the Spanish say."

"Yes, but as far as I know you're not in need of shelter." Will, turned to the rest of them "I think you all know Ragnor Fell, the former High Warlock of London?"

"He taught us in the Academy," Christopher said.

"Not me all I know is the stories." Seren muttered.

Ragnor Fell glared at Christopher. "By the name of Lilith," he droned. "Hide the breakables. Hide the whole house. Christopher Lightwood is here."

Seren placed a comforting hand on Christopher's shoulder, he'd never taken well to teasing but then again who did. Ragnor must've been a dreadful teacher I'd he couldn't see Kit's talent.

"Christopher is often here," said James. "The house remains mostly intact."

Will grinned. "Mr. Fell is here on a social call," he said. "Isn't that nice?"