Ep 9 Fonetik Assignment

Pause As Speech Intervals

Pause helps us in speaking better and most people uses pause in their everyday life without even knowing it is to give meaning and understanding. Some people have difficulty in planning their pauses when speaking at an event such as Public Speaking. Speeches are divided in three sections and that is speech pattern, stress pattern and pause pattern. The pause in speaking here is known as tiny bit of silence for 2 or 3 seconds (short amount of time).

Pause as speech intervals are very important in our daily life because people use it without even acknowledging it. They simply apply it casually when talking to other people. Firstly, it is used in public speaking because pauses helps us to get rid of nervousness and makes them speak better when talking in front of people. It also helps the person to get into his comfortable zone by scanning the stage and audience before starting his speech. Second, the more the pause in a sentence, the better listener can think for a while. When talking a lot of things, people usually takes time to absorb the information and knowledge by imagining it. Therefore, the pause functioned as a gap between the information given by us and the readers' connection to the topics we speak about. Third, it can make us remember more points and elaborate. Pauses also makes us remember our points that we often forget when giving speech or talking during public speaking. In that temporary stop, we can gather our information that we lost and can proceed with our speech or public speaking. Fourth, make emotional contact and connection. We must bear in mind that our audience are not robots that we need to speak so fast and this could make them not get the information we talk and makes them forget. Using pauses evades situation like this. When speaking with pauses, we can get into the hearts and make them feel our speech and make the audience relate with the topic or our speech that we give.

There are some methods when using pause and that is by the usage of punctuation (comma). Comma is a punctuation mark that is used in writing and we often use it when speaking and this applies in different languages in the world. Before making a speech, we must plan the commas as known as pauses. Second, asking questions. Asking questions to audience makes them think for a while and that makes our forgotten ideas comes back. This is also beneficial in our speech or public speaking when our adrenaline level is high because of nervousness. Third, pause used to scan room and be comfortable before speech. This is an example of pausing before the speech or public speaking starts. Speakers need to scan the room and audience before his or her starts the speech. This benefits the speaker because achieving comfortable when talking in front of audience and less getting nervous is a great strategy. Fourth, split into points (for longer sentences). Longer sentences when speaking make the speaker lose or forgot the points. It is imperative that the speaker remember the main points when speak long on longer sentences. Remembering main points and splitting them into points will make us can elaborate more during the pause and we need to repeat this until the end of the speaker’s speech. Fifth, for dramatic effect and emotional reaction. We know that people need their time to think and absorb information and we must speak slowly and use pauses. This strategy can make them relate the speaker’s topic with their daily life and emotional reaction when speaking. For example, the issues of  Palestine that needs the speaker to use repetitive pauses to interact with audience’s emotion and for dramatic effect. The speakers way of speaking plus pauses is considered the dramatic effect in a speech or public speaking.

References:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pause, retrieved 28 January 2020

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9df3/fb247edaca11841848b475360f5e2ebf7d19.pdf, retrived 28 January 2020