Nine Months

-The 100-
Word count: 1502

The birds chirped happily. People were talking, laughing, taking naps in their tents. Gunners were barking orders, teenagers rationing food, complaining about the heat. Their camp was at peace.

Outside of those walls, a few yards out, two young women stood underneath a willow tree. One of them hunched over, her breakfast making a reappearance, while the other held her hair up, insisting that she go see the medic.

The girl stood up, her brown eyes wild and unscathed. She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "Thanks, O."

Octavia let go of her friend's hair. She crossed her arms, stringy brown hair flailing aimlessly in the morning breeze.

"Y/N, c'mon. You can't hide it forever. It's going to start to show soon. Let me take you to Clarke. Please, Y/N." She said, and though the expression on her face was of annoyance, her green eyes shone with worry.

Y/N sighed, leaning against the trunk and sliding down the bark into a sitting position.

"I don't know what to do, O." The girl admitted, looking up at her friend. "I'm scared."

The youngest Blake noticed, for the first time, that her best friend was crying.

Her first thought was 'Y/N doesn't cry.' She couldn't help it, Y/N L/N was one of the strongest, most stubborn people in camp. She even surpassed Octavia herself, which was saying a lot.

Y/N had gotten herself arrested by beating up a guard. Not attempted assault, beating up. Apparently, he had tried to get in her pants, and she was just defending herself. Obviously, since she got arrested, that's not what was on the record, but Octavia took her friend's word for it.

Over time, Y/N had gotten the reputation of being pretty reckless. She would turn down anyone with just a glare. She was the kind of person everyone knew not to mess with.

Yet, she had a soft side. Her love for animals, which you couldn't see up in the Ark, her shy smile when her friends recited cheesy jokes. She was a rose, and once you got past all the thorns, all that's left for the eye is beauty.

Octavia sat down beside her.

"I can't say I know what you're going through, and I can't say I know how to help much past this point." She smiled sheepishly. "But I do know what you need to do. You need to tell him, Y/N."

Y/N tore her gaze away, wiping off the tears on her cheek with her thumb.

"Why should I? I doubt he'll even care, anyway." She said, and even though she tried not to show it, her voice dripped with sadness.

Octavia sighed, resting her head against the bark. Most of the time, Y/N was just too stubborn for her own good. Octavia usually found herself babysitting her best friend.

"He deserves to know, ya know."

"Nine months. Nine months, O, until this baby is born. I don't even know if I'm gonna make it 'til next week!"

Octavia sighed heavily. She didn't know what to do. Of course, Y/N was right, there was no guarantee she'd live long enough for her child to be born. But Octavia still needed her to do something about it.

She stood up abruptly, pulling Y/N up as well. She dragged her along, ignoring the protests coming from her friend.

"Octavia! What the hell are you doing? Where are we going?" Y/N shrieked, digging her heels into the dirt. She didn't want to go back to camp yet, to have to face him.