All You Need Is A Little Push

-The 100-
Word count: 669

Monty smiled to himself as he watched Y/N laugh at something Harper said. Even though he couldn't hear her, her laugh rang loud and clear in his head.

"Dude, you're staring again," Jasper said, following his best friend's gaze to the girl on the other side of camp.

Monty sighed, reluctantly turning to the other male. "Sorry."

"Are you gonna make a move? Someone's gonna snatch her away, ya know." Jasper inquired.

Monty sighed again, battling with the idea for the millionth time in his head. He spent so much time with her, and no matter how many times he had said to himself "today's the day, I'm gonna do it", he always chickened out. What was he afraid of? He didn't know. Ruining their friendship? Being rejected? Deep down, he knew the answer to his question, but it didn't matter how much he ignored it. It always ended up bubbling to the surface, like a piece of worn-out styrofoam at the bottom of a river.

Monty Green was in love with Y/N L/N.

He didn't know when friend turned into like then into love. One minute, she was helping him contact the Ark, and the next, he was imagining what it would feel like to run his hand through her caramel locks, how soft her lips were, her eyes an ocean of lust, just for him-

"Monty!" Jasper snapped, shocking said boy back into reality. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Monty shook his head. "I just don't think I can do it."

"C'mon, there's nothing to be afraid of, Mont. If she rejects you, so what? We probably won't even live long enough for you two to have a relationship anyway!"

Monty stared at his best friend. "Way to lift my spirits," He mumbled.

"Relax," Jasper said, throwing an arm around him. "I said probably. Now come on, no time to waste!"

As the two teens walked towards the girl, the reality of what was happening finally set in. He was going to ask out the girl he had been crushing on for... well, three months and a half. But it felt like forever.

But when they got within ten feet of her, Monty dug his heels into the dirt. "No, no, no, no, no, no. I can't do it, Jasper, I can't."

"Relax, buddy. All you need is a little push."

"Wha- Ah!" Monty was forcefully shoved forward, right into Y/N.

"Whoa!" She said, toppling to the ground. She closed her eyes on impact, and when she opened them again, Monty's face was two inches away from hers.

"S-Sorry." Monty stood up, blushing a dark crimson. He looked back to his friend, only to find him nowhere to be found. "Jasper- Jasper pushed me-"

Y/N stood up as well, dusting off her pants. "S'okay, Monty."

They stood there awkwardly, none of them quite knowing what to say.

Finally, Y/N spoke up. "So... do you need something? Help? With the wristbands?"

Monty blinked. "Huh? Oh! No, no. I just, uh... I, um.."

Monty took a deep breath. "IwantedtotellyouthatIkindamaybesortoflikeyouasmorethanafriend."

Y/N chuckled. "Sorry, didn't catch that. Can you say it again?"

"I, uh, wanted to know... I k-kinda, like you, I think, not as a friend, you know, and it's okay if you don't like m-me back, you probably don't, I should just go..."

"Monty Green, are you trying to ask me out?"

Monty looked her in the eyes for the first time since he crashed on top of her. "...Maybe? Depends on your answer?"

"Well, depends on your question, but I think my answer is yes," Y/N said, smiling.

"Wait. What?" He asked, shocked. "R-Really?

Y/N smirked. "Really." She said, planting a firm kiss on his lips. He just stood there, stunned. At that moment, someone shouted at her to get back to her post. She turned to Monty.

"I'll be waiting then. Don't disappoint me." That was the last thing she said before running back to the table. Monty just grinned.

He wasn't planning on it.