VII

warned you - good morning

POSSIBILITIES

marta sat with her computer open with her mother at the table. meanwhile alice was leaning on the counter watching a crime scene show talking about murder. her mother saw how marta was staring at the wall with a blank expression, her eyes crusted with dried tears. "alice, turn that off, now." she ordered.

"why? it's almost over." alice whined, eyes still glued to her screen.

"now, please, just turn it off."

"what? they're finding out who did it and the wifi sucks in my room so it doesn't play! and theres only like two minutes left."

"turn it off. now."

"theres not even anything bad on it, they're just talking!"

"alice, off. now."

"okay fine, god, whatever."

marta dug her face in her palm, dreaded that they were yelling and bickering over each other. her mother sighed. "it's talking about murder and your sister just had her friend who she loves slit his own throat, she doesn't need to hear that. now, let's be sensitive." she spoke. alice rolled her eyes.

marta cleared her throat. "no, really alice, its okay." she said before alice slammed her laptop shut and went back to her room. "Sorry Marta, tell Lucille I said hi." She apologized. marta sighed as her phone rang. she answered it and held it to her ear. "lucille? look, i'm sorry i left you but i didn't wanna wake you up, i thought you were asleep."

"its fine, marta just," marta heard her sister sigh. "you need to get here as soon as possible. theres detectives who want every one of us to be questioned privately."

lucille hung up the phone, sitting by the window. she watched outside as the leaves on trees were blowing, calming her down. she heard someone walk in her room. "hey," jacob mumbled. "did you call marta?" he asked. lucille gave a sad nod as she looked back out the window. jacob sighed. "does someone need a hug?" he asked in a childish voice. she looked up at him with glossy eyes, standing up as he embraced her into his long arms. he heard her sniffle a few times.

"there there," he comforted her, playing with her hair. "everything's gonna be okay. i promise." he whispered. she pulled away, looking at the ground. she sat on the bed, making a gesture telling jacob to do the same. he plopped down next to her. "what's wrong, lulu?" he asked with a concerned tone of voice.