Chapter Three

Notes:
Hey guys so, this one may be a bit short because my laptop died and I had to start from scratch.

I promise that I'll go Back to writing Normal size chapters next week.

The sun shines down brightly, reflecting on the dew drops on the grass. I smile, rolling in the soil. It’s not as though these are my best clothes. Mother said so. So, I’m free to do whatever I want.

A bouquet of assorted wildflowers, clutched in my left hand. Flowers of different shapes and colours. They clash ever so slightly, but It doesn’t matter.

“Mother!” I call rushing over to her, waving my bouquet. Grass and mud stains cover my knees.

She looks up from whatever book she was reading and greets me with her usual bright smile. “(Y/N)!”

“Mother, I bought you these!” I shove the bouquet in her face.

“Oh, wow honey. That’s so pretty.”
“I picked them from the field in the back.” I beam proudly.

“And they’re wonderful. Thank you so much.”

I turn to the field and begin skipping around the long grass, the tips tickling my shins.

“(Y/N). Come here, a moment.” Mother gestures for me to come over. I do as I’m told and sit beside her with an open look on my face.

“What is it mother?”

“In this world.” She begins, placing her book on her lap. “There is a great evil.”

“Yeah I know; titans!” I shout.

“Not just titans, evil people.” Mother reaches into he left pocket and picks out a pendant. “You are a very special girl, people are going to try and steal you away, maybe because they don’t understand what you possess, or because they want it for themselves.”

“Huh?”

“It’s a little difficult for me to explain, but all will be revealed.” She puts the necklace around my neck.

Then the memory fades.

“And that concludes your first day!” I hear our teacher scream at us. “See you all bright and early.

Our group disperses into the building, Armin, Eren, Mikasa and I stay close together.

“My god, he was loud.” Armin rubs his ears.

“Come on, now Armin.” I roll my eyes fondly, “You’ve heard worse than that.”

“That’s not all that true.” Armin sighs.

We shuffle into the mess hall and sit at a table at the end. In front of us sits a small bowl of soup and a discoloured roll of bread. We tuck in, taking a few bites of the bread, dipped in the soup.

“It’s better than the stuff at Shiganshina.” Eren mumbles with a mouthful of food.

“True.” Mikasa says softly.

“Shiganshina.” Eren’s voice trembles in utter rage. “I’m going to kill those titans. I’m going to kill every last one.” At his last phrase, he jumps to his feet. The entire hall stops and stares.
Out of the corner of my eye, I see a taller man stand, his dirty blonde hair sways slightly. I hear someone yell “Jean, no!”

“And just how do you think you’re going to do that!?” I hear the boy by the name of Jean say.

“Oooh boy.” I step back against the wall, I knew exactly what was going to happen, and I didn’t want any part of it.

“Are you a friend of the brown-haired boy?” I hear a voice beside me ask.
I whip around to see a boy around my age with a face covered in freckles and a big bright smile, “Yeah, are you friends with the blonde kid?”

“Yeah.” he shuffles next to me. “I’m Marco by the way.”

“(Y/N).” I Look over at the two squaring up to each other, it was almost comedic in a way.

“Tell me: why did you decide to join the soldiers?” Marco asks.

“My parents died. My mother was murdered by the police and my father was eaten by a titan.”

“Oh (Y/N), I’m so sorry.”

“Before he died, he gave me this letter that told me that I needed to find my uncle who had the key to my pendant and I’ll be able to help with humanities saviour.” I explain.

“That’s kind of cool, it’s like your own little mission, makes you feel important, huh?” Marco chuckles.
“I guess so.” I reply. “How about you?”

“I’ve always wanted to give my service to the king. I want to join the MPs so that I can feel like I’m doing something worthwhile and helpful.”

“Hey, that’s pretty cool Marco.” I beam. “Don’t you think that-.”

In that moment the doors swing open and we see a very scared, very out of breath soldier.

“Emergency! The titans have broken through Trost, I repeat, the titans have broken through Trost!”