Chapter Seven

Notes:
What's up my dudes! Welcome to this week's issue of The Commander's Neice, I'm so glad you're here and without further ado please enjoy!

I stroll down the castle halls, a slight spring in my step. I trot round a corner to see captain Levi standing beside a chest with many different trinkets. He glares at me, hand on hip. As if he’s been waiting hours for someone.

“(L/N).” He barks at me. oh god! What have I done?

“Yes Captain?” I say nervously.

“Squad leader Hange and Commander Erwin require you in the left field.”

“Oh, thank you, I shall-.”

“And I’ve been asked to escort you.”

“Oh.”

“Follow me.”

I’m led down the corridor, I look at one of the pictures raised on the wall, it looked to be of Erwin.

“Sir, I do know how to-.”

“It doesn’t matter.” Levi snaps. “I’ve been asked to escort you. I don’t want you shifting into a titan off duty.”

“But I haven’t shifted since the mission two months ago.” I protest.
Levi clicks his tongue as we walk in an awkward silence across the hall and onto the field.

“Ah Short stuff. I see you brought our new girl.” Hange says with a wink.

“Don’t call me shirt stuff, four eyes.” Levi huffs. “Lets just get this over with.”

“For god’s sake.” I hear Erwin sigh as he sits at the table, coat around his shoulders.

“Let’s just get started.” Hange pinches the bridge of her nose. “Right (Y/N). We’re going to teach you how to use your titan shifting ability.”

“Really?”

“Yup! Commander Erwin decided that it would be a good idea to use your abilities to assist us in the success of humanity. So, I’m going to give you this.” Hange hands me a silver bracelet with the wings of freedom on it.

“What’s this?” I ask, running my fingers over the smooth side.
“Well you told us that you’d cut your hand right before you transformed, based on what we already know about the titans and their regenerating abilities, we can assume that injuring yourself may trigger the shift. Inside that bracelet is a small blade. If you press the button by the crest it’ll slice the skin allowing you to transform.”

My breath hitches. “Hang on, are you telling me that this is all just some hypothesis?”

“Well-.”

“What if it turns out that it’s not true and I end up killing myself by mistake?” I panic.

“It’s a risk that we have to venture out beyond the walls to kill titans and that’s something we have to do on a regular basis, I think you can handle cutting the skin of your wrist.” Hange lectures.

“I’m just saying that I don’t know many teenagers who can turn into titans, so wouldn’t it be better to stay safe?”

“That’s a risk I’m willing to take.”
I trace my fingers on the edge of the crest and press it. I feel a sharp pain of the blade entering my skin. For a second nothing happens, the four of us hold our breaths.

Then it happens.

I feel the earth begin to move and my vision blacks out for only a moment, then I regain consciousness. It’s like looking through someone else’s eyes. I can move!

I let out a mighty roar, the sound echoing throughout the trees. Then suddenly it all goes black

***

My eyes snap open, I feel my chest ache, it heaves as I stir. I crane my head sideways to see Levi, holding me in his arms. I gasp, my arms flailing like an over the top cartoon character. I worm my way out of his grasp and onto the patch of grass next to me
“Woohoo!” Hange Screams in glee as she twirls around the field. Leaping into the air and punching the sky. “This is the greatest discovery in all of science!”

“When you’re done celebrating shitty glasses.” Levi growls. “We have things we need to do.”

“Oh yes.” Hange snaps her fingers, as if she’d just remembered something. “We’d better get to work then. (Y/N), your off duty, see you tomorrow.”

I scramble to my feet and giving them a quick wave, I trot inside the castle.

***

“(Y/N)!” I hear a voice call from behind me, I whip around to see Eren, Mikasa and Armin along with most of our trainee squad. I look to their uniforms on the crest I see the wings of freedom embroided.

“No way. You guys joined the Survey Corps?” I squeak.

“You know it.” Reiner flashes me a grin along with Bertoldt.

“That’s amazing! I’m so glad that there are finally going to be people I know here.”

“Yeah, we heard about you joining the joy that is Captain Levi’s squad.” Bertoldt chuckles.

“don’t remind me. I’ve never met anyone quite so grumpy in my entire life… maybe apart from Eren.”

Jean sniggers at my remark.

“I’m not grumpy!” Eren barks.

“Sure.” I roll my eyes. I turn to Jean. Despite his bright smile I think he and I both knew what we were thinking.

“Jean?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m really sorry…about you know who.” I place a hand to his shoulder.

“I know. Did he die honourably?”

“I have every faith that he did. He was a good man, never cruel, never cowardly. He will not be forgotten.”
“Quite right.” We lace our hands together, it’s a gesture between the two of us as if to say ‘once and only once’.

We take one last deep breath and step aside.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” He says finally.

“You too.”

“Oh (Y/N), we’re going to the mess hall for dinner, you coming?” Bertoldt asks.

“I best not, I’ve had a wild day. But enjoy, I’ll see you tomorrow. I trot down the hall and in to my room on the far left.

I fling my gear on to my bed and clamber out of the window and shimmy up the draining pipe to reach to roof.

I stare out into the streets, everything seems so fragile, as if tomorrow morning, I could wake up and it all could disappear just like my home back in Shiganshina, or in Sina.

Sina!

Surely, I must be close to my old neighbourhood. I look out and sure enough I see a small set of houses in the distance, lined up neatly. I wonder if anyone moved there after we left? Not likely. After the events of what happened to my mother, I’m sure that no one would touch that property with a barge pole. Still, it was such a nice house, it’d be a shame to have it go to waste.

“(L/N)?”

I whip around to see captain Levi right beside me, he wears an almost inquisitive and slightly curious look on his face.

“Oh, sorry sir.” I scramble to my feet hastily, stepping away from the captain. “I’ll go if you need some time to-.”

“No, stay.” That’s the sweetest I had seen him, even if he was his usual stoic self.

I sit in the spot next to Levi looking out to where his eyeline is. I take a deep awkward breath. “Sir.”

“Don’t even go there (L/N).”

“What?” I huff. “I wasn’t going to say anything.”

“I see that look on everyone before they try and pry me open and get all my secrets.” Levi raises an eyebrow.
“Hang on, how many teenage girls have you spoken to?”

“None, that doesn’t mean that a person from the team doesn’t look at me and think that with one innocent look and a kind work, they’ll melt my cold heart.”

“Cold heart huh?” I divert my eyes.

“So, why do you have that pendant around your neck?” Levi asks.

“Oh? So, you shut me down when you think I’m about to ask personal question, but you jump straight into asking me about my personal belongings.”

“Well, for your information I was asking purely for professional purposes.”

My expression softens as I look down to the pendant. “It was a gift from my mother a few years ago, before she was killed. For the longest time I didn’t know what it was for, I just did and I was told and wore it everyday without fail, then Shiganshina fell, and I watched my father get devoured by a titan, after giving me a letter telling me to join the Survey Corps. Apparently there’s a relative of mine who can help with the rise of humanity.”

I look over at Levi, who looked almost remorseful, I could’ve sworn I saw a glint of sympathy.

“I’ll lave you to it.” Levi presses a hand to my shoulder. “Have a good night (L/N).”

And with that he hops down from the rooftop, leaving me very much alone.