Chapter Four

Notes:

Hi guys! How have you all been? I've been stuck in quarentine and I'm still super bored!
Anyhoo, the story is going to pick up the pace a bit, so thank you to whoever has stuck with this thanks guys!

Let's goooo!

“Look what I did Mother!” I yell from the kitchen table, holding up the book of pressed flowers.

“Oh, wow Honey, that’s great!” Mother claps her hands.

“That’s Really amazing Kiddo.” Father ruffles my hair as he steps in through the door, his uniform covered in dirt.

“Hank!” Mother says, bringing her hand up to his jacket. “What happened?”

“Oh, the usual.” He brushes it off as if it’s no big deal.

“For goodness sake Hank.” Mother pinches the bridge off her nose. “You need to learn to stand up to the general public.”

“I do, but it’s a tad difficult when your superiors tell you to grin and bear what ever they throw at you, even if it is physical dirt.”

“Honestly, people are so cruel to the MPs.” Mother rolls her eyes.
“With good reason.” Father replies. “I’ve seen the way they think and it’s disgusting.”

“Father-."

I’m cut off by a sharp knock on the door.

“Who could that be?” Mother says, walking to the door. with a click she opens it. “Hello, what-?”
All three of us are cut off my mother stumbling and falling onto her back.

“Huh-?”

I look over the table at the now still silhouette of my fallen mother, gushing blood from her chest.

“No, she couldn’t-.”

Father grabs me by the arm and pulls me close to his side as we look at my mother’s killer. My breaths are sharp and shallow. He doesn’t bother to ask another question, we step back, allowing a safe distance between the two of us.

Then the memory fades.

We stand in a line on top of wall Maria, the stench of sweat and smoke, thick.

I look over at my squad; Marco, Jean, Reiner and Bertoldt. We fasten our gear into place, the leather pinching at the skin.

“You gonna be alright?” I hear Eren say from behind, I whip around to see the three of them beside each other. They wear worried expressions, even Mikasa who never seemed to warrant any kind of expression.

“Alright? Of course, I’m gonna be alright. When was the last time I wasn’t alright?”

“She has a point.” Armin shrugs. “I still can’t quite believe this is happening.” The last part had a tinge of fear.

He has a point, less than five years ago; we were safely house within the confines of Shiganshina where our biggest worry was how much we were going to have to eat that week, or where to get the best firewood.
It’s funny, but less than five years ago, I wouldn’t have even dreamed of joining the corps, but now here I am seconds away from risking my life for humanity. I can’t decide whether that makes me brave or foolish.

Maybe a bit of both.

“We’ve got this, guys.” I say as confidently as I possibly can. “I mean, it’s just like training right? Except, instead of wooden cut outs, we’re fighting moving targets."