Chapter 14

"You did what?!"

    Sophie ducked her head, shying away from the shocked look her friend was directing at her. She was currently in their room, sitting on her bed with Ama standing in front of her, gaping at her.

    "You did what?!" She demanded again.

    "I kissed him," Sophie replied timidly and glanced up slowly to see her friend sporting a huge smile.

    "You ki... Oh sweet lord Jesus! Tell me everything!!!" She exclaimed excitedly as she plopped herself down on the bed next to Sophie. She was such a sucker for gists.

    Sighing, Sophie let her thoughts drift back to that day...

     She placed her hands on either side of his face, leaned forward and kissed him.
    She regretted it the instant she did it. He froze. He went so still that she did the same, fearing she'd just made the biggest mistake of her life. She pushed him back with such force that had him stumbling back a few steps, shock clearly written on his face. She didn't know if it was from her kissing him or pushing him away but didn't wait to find out as she got down and fled the kitchen, the meal she'd been about to prepare completely forgotten.

    "That's it?" Ama asked, not even bothering to hide her disappointment.

    Sophie barely even heard her question, her mind lingering on the scene that kept playing over and over.

    "You have it bad," Ama announced, shaking her head slightly, a hint of a smile of her face.

    "Uh, what?" Sophie asked distractedly. She flushed at the look her friend was giving her. "No, I don't."

    "Of course, and I'm the queen of England," Ama retorted, her eyes rolling.

    "I don't!" She insisted, more to herself than to her friend.

    Ama sighed. "Sophie, I've known you for the better part of our lives. You don't just go around kissing every guy, scratch that, any guy you have a crush on."

    Sophie buried her face in her hands, groaning. "I've ruined everything, Ama. What am I supposed to do now? How am I supposed to face him after this?"

    "The same way he's going to face you," she replied playfully, trying to cheer her up.

     Sophie looked up, staring at her non sympathetic friend. "Can't you just be serious for once? I'm in a mess here."

    Ama gave her a mock wide eyed look. "Why are you transferring aggression on me now? Was I there when you were doing it?"

    "Remind me why I'm friends with you again?" Sophie asked, voice laced with frustration.

    Ama waved her off. "I can't start listing all of my wonderful characteristics. But on a more serious note though, what happens now?"

    Sophie shook her head, her temple suddenly throbbing. The whole issue with Alex was beginning to become a headache. "I don't know. I wish I could take it back somehow," She replied honestly. After she'd gathered up enough courage to go back to the kitchen, she'd been relieved to find out he had left. He hadn't come down for dinner that night. Or breakfast the next morning. She'd told him she briefly wanted to go see her friend and he'd replied a quick 'uhmm' which she'd taken as a yes.

     Sophie squirmed under her friend's long stare. "What!" She snapped.

    Ama smiled sheepishly at her. "Shey you know you have a habit of running to me whenever anything happens with Alex. I'm not sure your attachment to me is healthy."