Chapter 17

Sophie was in the living room, munching on an apple when her phone rang. She couldn't contain a wide grin as Ama's name flashed on the screen. Her friend had been too busy lately that they hadn't been able to catch up much.

    She picked the call. Grinning, she taunted, "Missing me?"

    Ama's cheery voice rang through the phone, "Yeah, right. As if. I just figured you'll probably be dying from lack of vitamin Ama right now so I thought I'll do you a favour by dropping by." She could picture Ama rolling her eyes as she spoke.

    "Well, isn't that thoughtful of you?" She asked sarcastically before her words started to fully sink in. "Wait, what? Hold on. You said dropping by?"

    "Yeah. I'm at the gate right now and your gateman here is asking me a million questions. Can you like, step out for a minute?"

    "You're joking right?" Sophie asked, not quite believing her but Ama had already ended the call. She stood up and headed outside and as soon as she stepped outside, she could see Ama standing just inside the gate, arms crossed and glaring at the gatekeeper who obviously wasn't letting her in. She was wearing a work skirt and a chiffon top so Sophie assumed she had been working. What was she doing there?

    "Musa!" She called.

     The gatekeeper turned to face her. "Yes, madam."

    She'd told him more times than she could count that she wasn't his madam and he should stop referring to her as that but he'd persisted and after a while, she had given up. "Let her in, she's here to see me."

    He nodded and said something to Ama who shot him a triumphant look and made a show of sashaying towards her.

    "Soph!' She exclaimed as she skipped the last few steps and flung herself at Sophie who staggered a little from the impact.

    Sophie couldn't hold back an excited laugh as she hugged her back. "I've missed you too, darl. How did you even locate this place?"

    "Daniel," she offered as a way of explanation and pulled back from her.

    "Well, come in," Sophie said as she led her inside. She was already settling on the couch before she realized her friend was standing not far from the door, looking around with a look of approval. She wasn't as blown away as Sophie had been when she'd first seen the house but that wasn't surprising considering her line of work.

    "Nice," she said simply before joining Sophie on the couch. "Will your boss be angry I'm here?"

    Sophie raised her brows at her in amusement. "You didn't think of that before coming here without letting me know oo."

    "I wanted to surprise you now."

    "And I'm surprised," Sophie replied with a teasing shrug.

    Ama tsked. "I just want to be sure you won't get in trouble. I've seen your face now, I can quickly slip back out and he won't know."

    Sophie laughed, happy and touched as always whenever her friend got concerned about her. Trying to ease her worries, she said, "It's fine. He's actually in his study right now and he's probably going to take a while before coming out. I doubt he'll be angry even if he sees you here."

    Ama gave her a look that told her she wasn't quite believing her.

    "Really," she insisted. "Alex and I are uhm... We've gotten a bit friendlier."

    She hadn't told Ama about the recent development between her and Alex. Ama might be obsessed about wanting her to be in a relationship but she doubted her friend would be happy to know she'd slept in Alex's room that first night. Or every of the other nights that followed.