Chapter 4

Anna

When they arrived at the hospital, they saw it was bustling with people and no one paid  them any attention. Mrs Evans walked up to the front desk and asked for the ward Mr and Mrs Fernsby were in. "The Dai Llewellyn ward, miss." the lady replied rather rudely. Mrs Evans quickly pulled Anna along with her and Lily led them to the lifts. They went up to Level 5 and went into the ward. In two beds near the window, two very familiar people were... sleeping? Anna walked up to the beds and quietly said, "Mum? Dad?" Lily hung behind her friend awkwardly whilst Mrs Evans was gripping a nearby chair for support. Suddenly some people in white coats burst in, talking very loudly. "And you'll move Mr Gudron to the Magicis Sanitatem ward, won't you Dora?" "Yes, of course, Sir and m-" "And of course you'll make sure he takes his medicine well Phyllis, I wouldn't want anyone else... messing up my work..." A small, round lady next to him answered yes in a sugary tone and the doctor nodded his head in approval. The other one, Dora, made a little sound of protest before someone behind her gave her a warning look and she turned around quickly, a frown on her face. Mrs Evans came to her senses and asked the doctor what was the matter about Anna's parents. "Ah, the Fernsbys, well they're in a coma now, but we don't know what could happen in the next few weeks. They'll be staying in here at least a month or two and it might be a month before they get out of that coma, or even more." Anna sat down on the side of her Mum's bed and gripped the sideboard tightly, her knuckles turning white. Lily reacted quickly and went to soothe her. Mrs Evans, on the other hand, gasped in shock and whispered "A coma? Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God!" The doctor then ran a few tests on Anna's parents and he declared that they could be in a coma from a week to four months, it all depended on how they fared in their sleep. He said they might say things in their sleep too, most of which would be just gibberish but they could glean a few truths. He bid them good day and left, his assistants in tow.

\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/

A Week Later, Oll school, Nurse's Office

The Headmistress

The Headmistress of Oll school watched over Sophie whilst she was sleeping peacefully. The girl had fainted apparently. Her loyal friend was half-crumpled in her seat holding Sophie's hand and muttering in her seep. Sophie's eyebrows suddenly crinkled and she, too, started talking, about a strange gleam at the end of an eye, a weird emotion, a cold Headmistress and a-? What was she talking about? The Head thought to herself. Surely it's not about me! Then the Head remembered. But she can't talk! She's supposed to be mute! Only a strong shock or emotion could bring back speech! What if-? No, surely not- but the girl had gotten a look in her eyes, when she heard Anna's parents talking while in their coma just hours ago. When they 'revealed' the thing. Anna and Sophie looked at each other. This was the first time they had seen the other couple's child. Their parents were in the same ward, it made it easier after the crash to put them together. Suddenly Anna's parents had started talking and Anna had gasped and Sophie had jumped. "Adoption, twin sister, foster care, real parents" Those were just a few words they had muttered. The Head was there, she had accompanied Sophie. Anna had started shaking and spluttering unintelligible things and Sophie had just stared open-mouthed in shock, not moving an eyebrow. She had then graciously collapsed on the floor and no one had woken her up since she got back to Oll. Margot had been with her all the time, refusing to leave her side and had only gone to shower because the nurse forced her. The Headmistress entertained this thought for a moment then shook herself and told herself firmly that there was no reason for the girl to know her secret.

\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/

In Anna's Mum's head

Words, flashes of memories and colours whirled by in her mind, Emma Fernsby was in a coma. She knew that but she didn't know how, she couldn't really bring herself back to consciousness, not yet. She had something important though to say to her daughter, her and Micheal had found out who her real parents were. They hadn't yet told her she was adopted but it was important that she knew. They were in such a hurry that day, they were going straight to her school to tell her. There had been rain and the car had slipped on the wet road and they had skidded into a car that was rushing the other way. There had been loud noises, the wail of sirens and extreme pain and Emma could feel she was about to lose consciousness so she had yelled "TELL ANNA" to her husband who, he, was still awake when the police arrived. Then she spent an eternity in a black room that had no walls, no floor, no ceiling. That had no end. And the whole time she felt that excruciating pain, all of her was sore, bruised, bleeding. And then she felt herself falling into a black hole. And then nothing. Nothing until later when she had heard snippets of conversation that faded in and out, woven into a pattern every day until her strength would fade and she would lose consciousness again. And the same scenes replayed in her mind, the crash, the rain, the sounds, the screams, the pain, the crying. The feeling that you're going to die and all you wish you could've said to all the people you knew. Everything. She tried to communicate to the outside world within her dreams and she thought she succeeded. But she could never be sure.