Chapter 5

Sophie's head in her dreams

Sophie had fainted when she had heard the words Mrs. Fernsby had whispered. She had suddenly felt something trigger in her mind when she heard those words. Adoption, twin sister, foster care, real parents. She had remembered something, something had triggered in her mind, but what? She had felt weak and drained and very sad, for some reason. She had gotten snippets of phrases and faded images of a tall, imposing, woman, who had glared at her and then left. A little girl in ragged clothes was crying on the ground, and when the woman left, she screamed as loudly as a police siren. Sophie screamed, the sound was horrible! She shook herself in her head and put her thoughts to a rest. She would talk about this with Margot when she woke up.

\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/

Anna's thoughts

WHAT! She thought. Her mum... Were those words just mindless bumbling? Or were they...Something else...The truth, for example... Anna felt lost. She didn't know what was real from the illusion, she didn't know right from wrong, she didn't know whose words to trust, her friend's words...Or the doctor's words. On one hand her friend knew her parents and her family very well, on the other hand, the doctor was a doctor... She was truly and hopelessly lost. Lost in her world, lost in her thoughts, lost in her family, lost in the truth. Also, the other one, Sophie was her name, she had fainted when her mum said those words. Sophie's eyes had widened with understanding? And she had had a look in her eyes as if she had suddenly solved a huge mystery. She had looked a bit like Anna did when she was delved into a particularly good book and the mystery had been cleared. Her nose had the same angular shape as Anna's and her jawline...well, Anna had felt as if she was looking at a cousin, or something. Anna brushed the thought away. She had more important things to think about than if she resembled somewhat a girl she had only just met that day. Hmm.

\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/

Margot

Margot suddenly startled awake. She had heard a scream and it had woken her up and she was feeling all drowsy and her eyes were sore and her body was stiff from sleeping in a chair... waitaminute. In a chair? Where was she? Whose scream had she heard? A vague, uneasy feeling swept over Margot, and in a moment she had remembered yesterday's events. What had happened? Suddenly she saw Sophie in the bed in front of  her, thrashing around and screaming again. Margot shook her awake and handed her a glass of water and a warm cover. "Sophie, are you all right?" she asked, before remembering that Sophie couldn't talk. To her immense surprise, Sophie answered in her calm, sweet voice that she was fine, that she had just had a nightmare and that she needed to see Anna's parents in the hospital, quickly. Margot was perplexed. She wondered if Sophie had hit her head on the side of the bed during the night, but she called the nurse, nevertheless, to bring Sophie to the hospital. 20 minutes and lots of traffic later, they arrived at the hospital. On the way, Sophie had explained her nightmare to Margot and the latter had been as . Sophie's aunt had finally arrived from Paris to look after Sophie and she had rushed straight to the hospital to see her sister, her brother-in-law and her niece. Sophie followed her 'Tante Madeleine' to the ward her parents were in. The loud doctor was there, as well as the other little girl, Anna. Margot stood outside the room, waiting for her best friend.

\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/

The Doctor

Dr. Sallow awaited the two little girls in The Dai Llewellyn ward. He was a tall man with fair hair and sparkling blue eyes. He was trusted and respected doctor in the hospital, everyone thought him an agreeable man, and he always had sweets in his pockets for young children. No one would suspect him to be hiding a deep, dark, mysterious secret. Well, it was deep, dark and mysterious for him at least. The door suddenly creaked open and he had to get out of his thoughts. He sighed deeply and put on a smile.

\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/

Sophie

Sophie entered the room with Anna, both of them laughing at a joke Lily had told them. Tante Madeleine rushed in behind them, her suitcase in one hand, her handbag in the other, sporting a colourful scarf and a bright red beret. Her glasses were lopsided on her nose and pins were falling out of her hair. Sophie rushed to her parents' bedside and took her mother's hand. Anna sat down next to her and took her father's hand. Instantly, he started murmuring a few sentences. Dr. Sallow started taking notes with a purple pompom pen he had found in hid pocket. " I'll tell her Emma, don't worry, I'll try and stay conscious long enough to tell her she's..." and he trailed off after that. The Doctor looked up at them with a merry smile on his face. "Well, Anna! It looks as if your father could be awake in a week or less! And your mother in two!" Anna smiled but sill looked worried. "What about my parents, Doctor?" asked Sophie. Dr. Sallow's face fell as he chewed on his lip nervously. "Well.....it could take a week..... or it could take a month..." He said the first with a skeptical expression on his face, showing his dubiousness at that happening. Sophie's face fell, her lip turned into a pout and started trembling like the small children who get told off for playing around with mummy's makeup. Light, transparent tears started falling on her face and Margot dashed inside when she heard her best friend crying. Anna moved in and gave her a tentative hug. 

\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/~\~/

Tante Madeleine

Madeleine Encan was an artist in all senses of the word. She lived in Paris with her boyfriend, Jean-Marc and did paintings for a living. She was sitting at a cafe with a friend when she got the call. "Miss Encan?" a crackly voice asked on the other end. "Yes?" she answered, shooting her friend a look conveying an apology. "Well, this is the chief of police of Northrom and we'd like to inform you that your relative was in a car crash today.  If you would kindly come as soon as possible to look after your niece, then we would be grateful. In the meantime, the school nurse is looking after her." Madeleine drew a sharp breath and answered that she would come as soon as possible. A short conversation later, she turned off her phone. "Qu'est-ce qui se passe, Madeleine?" asked her friend. "Je suis désolée mais je dois partir pour Londres bientôt. Peux-tu le dire a Jean-Marc et a tous les autres? Je pars faire ma valise et puis je m'en vais." answered Madeleine. Her friend acquiesced and Madeleine left quickly on her bike. A lot of waiting later, she was on the fastest train to London, where she would change to go to Northrom and then take a black cab to the hospital. Madeleine sat back and relaxed, adrift in her thoughts.

AN/ Hewwo!! Thanks for reading if you have made it this far!! Bye!!!