Chapter 13

*Callum POV*

After the events of this morning in the bathroom, I leave Ben and go to work. Hopefully the little de-stress this morning will do me good.

I go down and see what's happing. I walk in and Jay has left a note on the side. The note read:

I'm in a meeting for most of the morning. Ben texted to say you're having a rough time. You can work the morning and take the afternoon off. Not asking, telling you. -J

PS: hope you're ok Halfway.

I am so annoyed. I told Ben not to say anything. Why does he always try and do what's best for me. Like the time he tried to get Jay to give me a promotion. He needs to stop trying. I'll be gone soon. Few more weeks and he won't be able to help once I'm at the police. The only thing about him having a bad reputation with them!

I text him and say thanks for telling Jay, but I know full well that I will be speaking to him about it tonight. I don't get a reply which is strange for Ben but he's probably busy. I leave it and get on working. We have paperwork to fill out after our meetings yesterday.

The time goes quick and it's already 11.30 by the time Jay pops his head through my door.

Callum: how was your meeting?

Jay: ah you know. Busy but not bad. Not bad.

How you doing?

Callum: yeah I'm good thanks mate. I saw your note.

Jay: yeah... Ben told me about last night. Are you ok?

Callum: I'm fine...

Jay: no, like seriously.

Callum: honestly? Idk. Just got a lot going on and my brains doing weird stuff.

Jay doesn't say anything but goes to the cupboards in the hallway and comes back a few minutes later with a bottle of whiskey and 2 glasses. I know it's only 11.30 but this is getting deep. And i'm starting to feel tired from lack of sleep so why not. We sit there drinking in silence for a bit before he talks.

Jay: So. Wanna tell me what's up?

Callum: it's a lot. I don't want to burden you.

Jay: That's ok. I know you're too worried about Ben to open up to him, and that with his hearing, it's hard to have proper conversations and not being funny mate but Stuart ain't the best is he. Like I might not give the best advice but I can listen and that's a start.

I think for a bit, take a few sips of my whiskey until the glass is empty and poor another before I tell him everything. He just sits and listens carefully, nodding every so often so I know he's still paying attention. It's nice you know.. to be talking about it with someone. To open up and not be worried.

After I finish talking, he doesn't try and give advice or anything. He just downs the rest of his whiskey and pours another one each and continues talking like normal. Changes the subject which is nice and then we talk like normal mates do (even if we are basically bothers in law, in a weird way) before we notice the time. He has to get back to work and I really should try and sleep before Ben comes back. The alcohol definitely didn't help my tiredness and I feel like I could definitely fall asleep in my office. I can't even think about walking up the stairs. I'm definitely drunk.

I hold out my hand and Jay pulls me up before I stumble out. The door takes a few wiggles to open but that might be because I am basically falling as I try. I lean on the door and put the key in at the same time. I fall halfway up the stairs and continue to crawl up the rest and into the bedroom. I see Stuart staring at me when he opens his bedroom door as I crawl past and asks if I've been drinking before looking at the time to check how early it is. I just nod and get into bed. A few moments later he comes in with a glass of water and watches me drink it before leaving me to sleep for a few hours. I only wake up when the door slams. Either Stuart has left, but more likely, Ben's back.