Chapter 1: The Ouija Board

When you're a freshman in college, everything you were ever passionate about gets pushed away in order for you to focus. I listened to my math professor go on about things my dyslexia didn't want me to understand. I sat there and waited for class to be over so I could meet Mickiyah-the girl I was partners with for a photography project. Aka, the girl I had a huge crush on.

Class was over and I quickly packed my books up and tried to leave.

"Hey, um Tori!" My professor called out. I looked at him while he gestured me to his desk.

"Hey," I said. "Something the matter?"

He peeked at me over his glasses, folding his hands together. "I got your assignment last night but unfortunately almost everything was wrong."

Embarrassment set in when he said that because he proudly said it out loud for the students that were leaving to hear. It's almost like he wanted to embarrass me.

"Sorry, I can redo it," I told him.

He shook his head and removed his glasses. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help but notice you are a writer and you do photography. I've come across your work and see that you're very involved on campus but your grades...are not the greatest. Why?"

I could feel my anger rising but also felt flattered. "I'm sorry, I can try and do better. I'm not the greatest at math. My dyslexia-"

"You're very smart," he interrupted me. "I see you are hardworking. But if you're going to be great, try and work on your grades. I'll give you another chance, okay?"

"Sure thing, professor."

I left the room feeling a little bad but at least he acknowledged my other talents. It's true. I was one of those kids that did a lot but only when it came to the arts. "The anxious art kid," my mother liked to call me.

"Tori!" Mickiyah called out to me. She attacked me with a hug, then opened up her bag to show me something.

I saw a big block of wood and paper. On the paper were sketches of ruined houses.

"What's that?" I asked her.

Showing me the sketches, she pointed to tall grass with random objects placed over the ground. "We can explore and take pictures of this spot. I heard there's so much ruins and abandoned places." She showed me the weird block of thin wood in her bag. "I also got an ouija board."

"Uhhhh," I let go of her bag. "I already get sleep paralysis. I don't want a ghost haunting me."

She sighed and put the paper back in the bag. "We can just take pictures then."

We both laughed.

Looking at her, God I was head over heels. Her beautiful glistening dark skin, the short cut she rocked really well with blonde hair. Her unique style and switch between clothes from Urban Outfitters and Boho. She shined like the moon itself.

"I'm down!" I told her. "Are we allowed to go there? Any cops?"

Putting her bag in her back, she shook her head. "Nah. I hear it's too haunted to be patrolled."

I rolled my eyes.

"Dude, have you not heard about that girl, Emily? Violet? The Harmon family?"

I shrugged. "I mean, I heard a crazy father killed his wife and the daughter ran away. That's all I know."

She smirked at me. "It's such a mystery. I'm obsessed."

I laughed. "Why? Why there?"

"Why?" Her eyes widened and she smile. Taking my hand, we began walking outside. Pass all the rushing students. "I knew a girl named  Mariel that lived by me for years telling me she knew the foster daughter. Emily."

Mariel. Mariel. "She sounds familiar..."

"Mariel and two of her friends were murdered  two years ago, in their sleep."

"I'm sorry," I said to her. "That's terrible."

"So horrific," she shook her head. "But Mariel told me she knew the daughter. How she lived at that old mansion 30 miles away from here."

"And?"

She shrugged. "Well, I'm just curious where Emily is. What she knows. Maybe knowing her is what got Mariel killed. Maybe she's evil."

I nodded, not agreeing with her but listening. It all sounded like a crazy but interesting story to me. "Hmmm that is a mystery. Is it being looked into?"

"No. The town is too scared. Says the Harmon's old mansion is cursed."

"And you want to go there?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Absolutely. You in in??"

I was a sucker for horror and mystery. I didn't believe in ghost or curses so why not. "I'm in! On one condition."

"What?" Mickiyah asked.

"Can we please bring others."

"Absolutely," she said.