Chapter 16- Magnolia's Garden pt.2: Butterfly

Zarah

"Magnolia."

  "What's wrong?" the question hung dry in the air, my throat strained as she questioned me.

"Is it something with the races? Are they canceled? Your parents? Jasper?"

I shook my head. My heart hammering as Magnolia set down the food she brought, kneeling beside me.

     "What is it then?"

     "My m-mom." I strained tearily.

      "What happened to her?" Magnolia trapped me in a gaze, a tug of grief pulling at my heart.

      "They took her..."I tensed, "They took her and I couldn't stop them!"

       Magnolia embraced me, my shoulders shook as she spoke to me softly, worry in her tone. "Who took her?"

       "A Sorín man." I hiccuped wiping my tears, "I should've listened to you. I should've learned I wouldn't—"

       "She wouldn't have been taken from me."

       "It's not your fault."

        "Yes, it is!" I snapped, "If I were just a little faster if I knew a little more she'd be here!"

         Magnolia shook her head, "Where's your dad?"

         "I don't know...he told me to come here. He said we could trust you to keep me safe." I lied.

         I moved away from Magnolia, wiping my face, "I'm scared."

       "What are you scared of?" She shifted nervously.

        I shook my head slowly, aware of the hole I dug myself.

       "Zarah, why would they take your mom?" Magnolia's tone became serious.

        I shivered at the question, maybe I could leave...go somewhere else. But how would dad find me again? How do I know the Sorín wouldn't just kill me on sight?

       My head ached at these thoughts, and I found myself quiet for longer than an honest person would be. I met Magnolia's eyes with hesitation on my tongue.

       "Because she's human..."

        "What? No, no she can't be human." She strained.

        "No..." I started "I'm sorry I didn't tell you-"

         I reached for her hand but she pulled away, tears pooling in her eyes.

          "Zarah, are you an illegal witch?"

          I looked at Magnolia, wanting to shake my head no. I wanted to tell her no. I wanted to lie and make everything go back to normal.

          But I nodded instead, "Yes," I replied. "Please don't-"

           I paused, looking up at the quiet Magnolia as her face reddened angrily.