Chapter 19- Jasper's Journal

Zarah
[Jasper in media]

  I read through book pages quietly this morning.

   It's been three days since I first came East, and Jasper's schedule looked a lot like: leaving early then returning around evening where we made dinner together.

    We didn't talk much, but I still wonder where he went all that time. A job? Partner? Is Eden his girlfriend? Or did he just go out to take care of her?

     Is she that sick?

     I had so many questions and often found myself snooping. Maybe an album, a picture, even a new hobby. Something. He made me so unusually curious.

     I don't take pride in searching through Jasper's things. I'm sure he'd tell me if I just asked, but I don't wanna seem nosey.

     Even though I am. I guess I just value my relationship with him?

     Taking precautions, I waltzed back over to the book shelving, looking for the worn journal I found days before.

     Only to see it wasn't in its place.

     Huffing, I looked around for possible hiding places. Maybe he carried it with him? Or put it elsewhere?

    I went into the small room where we slept. Looking under pillows and in drawers until looking underneath the mattress.

    I found a packed sketchbook with neat edges and expensive paper.

     I opened up to the first page where a drawing of the wall appeared with great detail. Then a river down west, Magnolia's garden, then Eden. Seems like he's been drawing for a while since the pages showed such precision and detail.

     I looked at Eden's portrait for a bit longer before turning the page to find a loose note in Jasper's handwriting.

    Dear Eden, the note began.

    I couldn't find the courage to tell you this in person, and I know this seems out of character for me, but I'm concerned.

You're distant. Ever since you've gotten sicker, something hasn't been the same. I'm not sure
where this letter is going but I care for you. And I'm here for you. I'm scared of what the future holds.

Love, Jasper

   I paused, jealousy pinged a bit at my chest. Is Jasper this observant with everyone? Even me?

   I stuck the letter back between the pages carefully before turning to another page, regretting what I read.

Portraits of people and surroundings filled the rest of the pages before I came to the end of the book, carefully putting it back in its place.

I sat on the cold floor in a daze before deciding that going through Jasper's things only arose new questions.

And just ask him instead?

No, that would be ridiculous. He'd know I was snooping.

My legs crossed comfortably as I laid on the bed restlessly. I wanted nothing more than to leave and reunite with my family again. But none of that even seemed realistic at this point.

I haven't heard from anyone.

It made me feel forgotten in a way. Curious, again. But somehow, I didn't feel anxious and I let time fly past me comfortably. Everything was oddly numb yet present.

    And the fear of slipping up with Jasper kept me in check. I hate the way his implications poked at my feet whenever I did something risky.

    But still, it gave me some sort of satisfactory challenge.

    "Are you asleep?" Jasper suddenly appeared in the room.

     Startled, my eyes jolted open, eyeing him. "No."

     "Good. I need you to pay rent today." He walked tiredly to the bed, flopping in it with a sigh.

     I shouldn't let my guard fall so easily. He could've been anyone. Instead of dwelling, I answered with a mutter: "What do you mean?"

     "Can you make dinner please?" He pleaded with a yawn.

     "You're tired?" I asked since it was strange for Jasper to be tired. He's awake nearly every hour of the day.

      "I overworked myself today." He said tapping his temple, "It's exhausting. Sometimes I wish I was more human."

      "I get that but I can only imagine how much gossip and leverage you get," I said with a smile, standing.

       "It's all he said she said. Nothing good." He smiled back at me politely, "Are you gonna be generous today or are you not feeling it."

      "I'll do it. But I hope I have more to work with this time."

•••••••••••••••

Hey guys! I'm not sure many of my readers are still here but sorry for the unannounced hiatus! I'll be posting more often from now on. 💙