Chapter 17- East

Zarah

   I woke early to the noise of a running stream nearby and the smell of rain, the sun still rising.

   I stretched uncomfortably as small bug bites on my shins reddened my skin.

    Climbing down the large tree carefully with my bag, I traveled over to the stream to refill my jar.

   After doing so, I began flying east again quickly. Beating the rain would prove to be difficult with achy muscles.

   After an hour of flight, I made it east.

    Long dead grass and tall trees that clung to life had proven my arrival. My goal is to make it to Jasper. Where he cared for Eden. Only except I didn't know exactly where they stayed.

    Eden didn't like me much and hated when Jasper came to visit me. She's insensitive, selfish, and greedy. To this day, I don't know what Jasper finds so appealing.

     I began walking through the small village where sellers sold candles, berries, and nuts. All of the candles looked worn and the berries looked near wilting.

    Rumors of witches living in this village attracted many leaders in search of assassins and servants. The east is a breeding ground for mischief.

    A blue-haired boy caught my eye and turned a corner swiftly.

    I followed closely, suspecting that it would be Jasper.

    Or would that be too much of a coincidence?

     It began to drizzle a bit as he began walking faster through the nearly vacant walkways and alleys.

     I feared calling out to him. Attracting attention wouldn't be good. Instead, I followed him, trying to catch up as he made his way out of town.

     We headed farther east as I noticed a large bag in his arms. Had he just gone shopping?

      "Zarah, why are you here?" Jasper stopped in his tracks, turning to face me as I let out a breath of relief.

       "Can I walk with you?" I muttered, approaching him.

       "I don't see why not. We've been doing it for a while now"

       We walked together, the rain making puddles in the mud, "Why are you here again? I thought you never wanted to come east. This isn't really your type of area."

      "That's something we'd need to discuss over a meal." I paused, "How are you?"

"Cold." Jasper smiled at me, "Zahra—" he stopped, wiping my damp hair from my face with a small wince, "You're not looking well, did something happen?"

I shivered a bit at his cold hand and shook my head, "I didn't sleep too well last night. Do you have ointment?"

Jasper stared at me for a moment longer, uncertain with my answer before nodding as we finally made it to Eden's house.

I stood outside the door, peaking into the old house with peeling paint on its walls.

"You can come in," Jasper said, sliding off his shoes.

"What about Eden?"

He shook his head, "This is mine. Eden's over there." He pointed to another small, old house behind his.

I hesitantly followed him inside, letting out a breath of relief I down my bag on a chair and leaned on a wall. "It's a lot different over here."

"It is." He paused, "Are you hungry?"

I shook my head awkwardly, "Not really."

"Okay. I need to drop this off, I'll be back later."

I nodded, watching him leave with the bag of goods and let out a small sigh. This place is so much like Jasper. Clean yet, old and worn.

      I wandered into the kitchen, hoping to find something small to eat in cupboards or shelves. Yet I only managed to find rice and herbs.

      What was he even planning to eat for dinner?

      I set the pot to boil as I washed the rice then set it on the counter sadly.

       I hate that I'm relying on Jasper right now. He already has so much on his plate taking care of Eden, he doesn't need me hanging around and eating the last of his food.

       I put the rice in the pot and decided to wander around the small house.

       I wonder about Jasper's past often. How did he get to such a shabby place even though he came from a rich family?

       I hesitantly moved over to a bookshelf and scanned the shelves for an album. I didn't know he loved books so much. The collection was dizzying.

       I stopped at a small journal atop some books in the back.

       The journal looked ancient, the leather is faded and overworked as loose pages stuck out.

     A creak came from the front door and I jumped, quickly putting the journal back in its place and acted interested in Jasper's unknown hobby.

     "I'm back..." Jasper groaned out and made his way straight into the kitchen as I looked at him curiously.

     "I see you already started on the rice?" he mumbled, grabbing potatoes and beef from his bag.

     "Y-yeah." I followed him, peeking over his shoulder, "I didn't know you liked reading."

     "Nobody really does. Can you pass me that pot over there?" He began washing then peeling a potato.

      I nodded, handing it to him, "It's not too surprising. You seem like the type." I relaxed,
helping him.

      Jasper froze before slowly nodding, "Are you gonna tell me why you're down here now?"

      "I don't want to talk about it."

       "Why not?" he said a bit sadly.

        "Because I don't want to think about it either. Just-" I paused again, losing my words, "Just let me stay for a while, please."

         "It's always nice to have some company anyway." He smiled politely at me, putting the potato in the pot as I did the same, grabbing another to peal.

"Thank you...I don't have anywhere else to go."

          "Just stay away from Eden."

         I looked up at him with a slow nod.

          "Don't follow me either."

           "I won't..." I eyed Jasper.

           He stayed silent, peeling and boiling the rest of the potatoes and began washing the beef.

           Soon dinner was finished and we sat in silence as the sun began to set, eating the small meal we prepared.

          "What do you do around here?" I broke the suffocating silence.

        "Read. There's not much to do."

          "Oh." I paused with a smile, "Maybe I can start doing that too."

          Jasper's face lit up as he made his way over to his shelf as I shifted nervously, hoping he wouldn't notice his journal slightly out of place.

          "I think I have a few you'd like a lot." He scanned the shelves, picking three books before handing them to me.

Two were stories, the other was on plant manipulation. "Where'd you get this one?"

"A woman was selling it a few weeks ago in town. I was curious and it reminded me of you, so I just figured..."

I raised a brow, flipping through the pages, I smiled a bit. "Were you ever gonna give it to me?"

"Eventually."