𝚇 - 𝙰𝚛𝚒𝚊

H.H.S.A Guidebook for New Inhabitants
Originally published in 803 A.D by V. Atticus
Edition 34
__________
10. Most Inhabitants of this particular Halfway House have English as a second language, and come from all corners of the world. This is most likely deliberate.
__________

Eventually I fell asleep in the gardens with Ryuzaki. You know, I've noticed that lately I've been sleeping more often than I have in years. Maybe it's that... even if I have my reservations, my body trusts him. Does that even make sense?

He woke me up some hours later, saying he would've just let me continue sleeping, but didn't know whether I planned to attend the party the Initiatives were putting on that night. I don't know why, but somehow I got the sense that he wanted to go, so together we went to the fifth floor where it was being held to drop by and say hi. If you don't know, the fifth floor is, essentially, for parties. A kind of frat house. There's a large outdoor deck, a fully stocked bar and kitchen, and enough space for all the Inhabitants to gather there at once.

By the time we got there, it was already crowded and the mood was lively and animated. I felt a bit out of place there, underdressed in only a sweater and trousers and uncomfortable in such a crowded space. In addition to all the Initiatives, at least thirty or so others had shown up to celebrate (most likely this whole affair was just an excuse to party in the first place).

No one noticed Ryuzaki and I when we arrived; as the room's attention was mainly focused at the dining table. The two newly discharged patients, Rose and Caden, stood shyly behind Alyosha in front of a table of food. Alyosha was addressing the room in a thick accent.
"All, please welcome Rose and Caden!" She exclaimed, beaming. "I am so proud of them both, so Sveti and I made ptichye moloko and medovik to celebrate! They are Russian desserts and very good, so come and eat!"

Chatter erupted and there was a small commotion as people swarmed to form a line at the table, gawking at the unfamiliar cakes with interest.
"You gonna get some?" I asked Ryuzaki.
He nodded. "Sure, if you don't mind. I've never had Russian food before, so I wonder if it's good."
"Oh, it is." I told him, as we shuffled into the line that was forming at the dining chair. "Thats how the two show their affection. Svetlana was a cook, and Alyosha helped raise her younger siblings after their mom died."

"Really?" Said Ryuzaki, looking interested. "For someone who spends all day in the library, you seem to know a lot about the others."
"Well yeah, I'm Senior Initiative and I have a very good memory." I replied. "I know just about everyone's backgrounds because they tell me when they arrive. For example, Rose was killed by a stalker at a cafe she worked at, and Caden is a college student that offed himself after accidentally killing his mate in a bar brawl."

Ryuzaki looked up past the line to where Alyosha was cutting cake in front of Rose and Caden. Rose was a striking girl with long black hair and a dark complexion, and then there was Caden, a gangly kid with freckled skin and dusty hair. Both appeared to be in good spirits, far different from the weeping and sorrow their first few nights here.

I leaned against the wall and sighed a little, gazing out at the party with disinterest. Ryuzaki stood next to me, looking just as out of place.
"You're not big on large gatherings, are you?" He commented, hands tucked in his pockets.
"...Mm, how'd you notice?"
"You have a very honest expression. Why come if you'd rather not be here?"
I let out a small sigh. "Ive been neglecting my Initiative duties lately because of you, so I'm obligated to at least stop by."
"Should I feel bad about that?" He teased, eyes shining with mirth. "I just want you all for myself is all."
I laughed. "Shut up."

Right then we came to the front of the line, where Alyosha was racing back and forth energetically, looking happy as can be. When she saw us, her whole face lit up.
"Above! Ryuzaki! You came!" Knife still in hand, she threw her arms rather haphazardly over the both of us. "Have some cake!"