𝚇𝙸𝙸𝙸 - 𝚅𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚖𝚘

H.H.S.A Guidebook for New Inhabitants
Originally published  in 803 A.D by V. Atticus
Edition 34
__________

12. Every Halfway House has a 'Senior Initiative',  whose job it is to aid newcomers in the transition from life to death. The role is entrusted to those who have been here for many years longer than the rest of their Inhabitants. Senior Initiatives help newcomers as they cope with the trauma of death, and are prepared for violent or hysterical outbursts in the first few days. It is a very difficult and thus highly respected position.

__________

In the days after her outburst, I ended up spending a lot of time with Gwen as she recovered in the hospital wing. In the wake of what happened, I decided it was best that I switch Senior Initiative duties with X. He was now in charge of Caine. I wanted to take both of them, but it'd be too difficult to handle and X would never accept it. I still kept an eye on Caine, and visited him periodically to make sure he was handling things okay. I spent most of time in the hospital with Gwen, usually spending much of my day there. I know from experience that being hospitalised is deathly boring, and that it's best that she has something to take her mind off of things.

I'm actually quite fond of Gwen. She's a sweet girl, quiet and introspective. She read a lot to pass the time, and as our librarian I was all too happy to bring her what she wanted from upstairs. She wanted to reread the books Flowers for Algernon and 100 Years of Solitude.

"Hey, Above?" Gwen had said during one of our visits, three days after her hospitalisation. Her voice was still hoarse, and there were deep, jagged stitches over her neck, arms, and torso. It was a grisly sight, but by the end of the week there wouldn't be so much as a scar left on her body to remind her of what had happened.

"Yeah, what's up?" I said, closing the book I'd been reading.
"You and X are close, right?"
"Why do you ask?"
"Uhm... how's he been lately?" She asked. "I... haven't seen him since I was hospitalised."

"Wait, what?" I said. For her sake I tried to hide my alarm, but this was news to me. "You mean he hasn't come to visit you?"

Gwen shook her head, mystified.

"...Christ. I can't believe that man. I'm sorry." I muttered, shaking my head. "X... I've been training him to take over as Senior Initiative, but it's a hard job. He's not used to seeing people break down like that. And because I put him in charge of you, I'm sure he blames himself for what happened."

Gwen lowered her gaze. Her expression was pained.
"...I'm sorry." She said. Sorry. Lately, she's done nothing but apologise. "It's not his fault. Not at all."
"Of course it isn't." I replied. "But... give X some time. He'll come see you soon enough."
"...Okay."
Her eyes travelled to the other side of the hospital room, where there was a large arrangement of flowers from people wishing her well. These past couple of days she's been warming up to the others, but there was a marked sadness in her eyes that showed she was still deeply troubled.

"...I'm so ungrateful." She said softly.  "Everyone was kind enough to give me flowers and I'm upset because one guy didn't. I dreamt that he came to see me and was disappointed when it didn't happen for real. Isn't that stupid?"

I shook my head.
"It isn't. I would be upset if I were you too. He's the person you're closest to here, isn't he?"
"I guess." She replied. "But he's with you, right?"

I gave her a funny look.
"'With?' No, my relationship with him isn't like that. I'm... dating Ryuzaki. X is a close friend."
"O-Oh..." 
"Why, are you interested in him?"