Chapter Five

One Hundred Years Ago

Finding Eden

The next morning, the team set out on their journey, following the expected direction. They passed the military outpost just beyond the village to the east and kept trotting along, their packs heavy and awkward to carry.

"Short steps, boys! Let's drop it down a beat!" Ramius called ahead to his team. He wanted to make sure there were no injuries and that the men's legs were staying as fresh as possible. Once they were comfortably out of the village, they turned onto the trail heading northward and started climbing the hills. It was steep, but they knew that it wouldn't be long before they would crest the hills and head back down the other side, so they dropped back to a brisk hike up the inclines.

For men in their late thirties, all five were in superb physical condition. As men who had all served as hunters, military runners, and, thereafter, active runners and outdoorsmen, they had hardly lost a step from their earlier days. It was their way of life.

As they reached the flats on the north side of the hills and were about to make the turn westward, they heard someone calling out. They abruptly came to a halt and looked east to see a patrol squad coming their way with purpose. All five men suddenly had a sinking feeling.

"We might need to head east a while," muttered

Johnny. "That's a setback."

"Let me do the talking, guys," Ramius instructed.

The patrol men were all smiles, excited to see them. But the leader had his arms outstretched as they ran up, making a gesture of confusion. Ramius and most of his team recognized the leader as Sammy, a prominent mid-level military man. The team of ten, including Sammy, all broke stride, breathing heavily as they arrived.

"We didn't expect to see you. We heard you would be on the east road heading out," Sammy declared.

"Sammy!" Ramius greeted him warmly. "We wanted to take a different way and maybe change our course a bit." Ramius started walking slowly up the trail from which Sammy's team had just arrived. Ramius's team followed. "Are you headed back to the village?" Ramius prayed that the answer would be yes.

"We were going to go west all the way and then come back along the river," Sammy explained.

"I just realized something," Ramius said, thinking quickly. "I bet there are patrols expecting us to pass by on the east road. It might raise concern when they don't see us. Can you guys alter your plans and head back now to inform the command of our course?"

"Uh . . . well . . . sure," Sammy responded tentatively as he thought about it. "I don't think that should be a problem, given the circumstances." Sammy broke into a smile. "Hey, we are all depending on you guys. Be careful, will ya? I know! I can have a few guys run escort with you for a while."

"No, no, no. Please don't. That's totally unnecessary. After all, the dangers we might encounter are way off in the distance. You guys head back and get a good breakfast. I'm sure command will appreciate your actions," Ramius said in a commanding tone. These soldiers were practically boys talking to a council member and decorated former military men—all of them.

"Yes, sir. Thanks for that. We wish you guys the best of luck." Sammy raised an arm to his chest in salute and out of respect. The others followed crisply. "Squad!" Sammy shouted. "Let's move out!" The squad trotted westward and picked up speed quickly to show off their kick.

Ramius and his team saw them make the sharp turn south and start up the hill, all in unison, beginning to chant as they scrambled for elevation. Ramius and his team all looked at one another, without the need for words. They were all relieved that they had avoided having to take a major detour in the wrong direction just for the sake of appearances.