Chapter Forty-Three

Sixty Seven Years Ago

The End Approaches

The small, crudely constructed barge had only four oarsmen on each side and men with long poles at each corner. They maneuvered the awkward vessel out only a short distance, where there was a small dock secured in place. At this point, the poles could barely reach the bottom. The distance from shore was so close that the entire population of Eden turned out to say farewell to Ramius.

His passing was a sign of Eden's sustainability. It was also a reminder of each individual's mortality. It wasn't clear which of these had driven people to gather with morbid fascination to watch Ramius and his bride, Ana, make the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good of Eden.

There was a ceremony of sorts, and it went on for some time, but the citizenry in attendance didn't grow impatient. They actually feared and dreaded what was to happen, and any postponement was welcome no matter the brevity.

They were not the only ones praying for more time. Ana's resolve weakened as she felt the cold splash of the frigid lake water carried on the brisk spring wind. She gripped Ramius's hand, and he held hers tightly to steady her, knowing that she was losing strength and balance as panic set in. Ramius remained perfectly steadfast. Ana could feel his strength and lack of fear, which were the only things that still allowed her to remain functional. But in reality, Ramius was also struggling. Staying strong for Ana's benefit kept him focused and gave him the ability to project calm. But, internally, he could hear only his own thoughts.

The words of others flowed around him like distant, muted, indecipherable voices. Yet, he could hear the splash of the water, the flow of the air, and the creaking of the barge with unrealistic clarity. Finally, he stepped forward, his body somehow answering commands that he was not consciously aware of, as if it were another version of himself. He looked down and could see ropes being tied to his ankles. And there were the mighty stones ready to do their dirty work.

Ramius felt people hugging him. Oh, it's RJ. I love you, son, he thought, but was unable to speak. He felt a tear run down his cheek. It was that tear alone that somehow had the power to suddenly bring him back into the moment. I am ready.