Chapter 17: The Last Chapter

After the battle with Charybdis and the megalodons, the village was plentiful with resources from the scales Milim had cleanly piled on the forest floor to the massive amounts of fish from the sharks to the tonnes of wood from the uprooted trees. They worked to pile all the resources together to have Rimuru devour it with his [Predator] to bring back to the village with ease.

By the time they all got back to the village, the sun had set. Katsumi was walking with Shuna and Shion while purposely ignoring Benimaru. The red-haired kijin dejectedly trailed behind, not quite sure what to do to calm her anger. He couldn't blame her for being mad, especially after what he said. When they got back onto the paved roads, she immediately split off from the group before Benimaru could catch her. Benimaru sighed as Souei slapped his back hard. Even Souei was hoping that they would make up quickly.

Minus Katsumi slipping away almost immediately, the rest of the group slowly scattered to do their own tasks. Hakurou found an open road with Rigurd and Geld and placed himself a ways away from the two others. Rimuru regurgitated one of the whole Megalodons from the fight onto a tarp that was laid out before leaving to deliver Charybdis' scales to Kurobe and Kaijin. Hakurou turned in his spot, his hand resting on his blade at his hip.

"Now, do it!" Hakurou commanded. Across from him, Rigurd and Geld lifted up the dead megalodons. The fish had been preserved perfectly in Rimuru's stomach,so they wanted to make use of it and serve it for dinner as sashimi. Rigurd and Geld simultaneously launched the shark towards Hakurou, who swiftly filleted the fish in a matter of seconds.

"Amazing! You're the best, Master!" Gobta complimented cheerfully. "One neatly filleted Megalodon!"

"A task simple enough to achieve before breakfast... or dinner, in this case," Hakurou bragged slightly with a laugh.

On another strip of the village road, Kurobe, Kaijin, and the three dwarf brothers stared at the mound of scales in front of them. It was twice the height of the dwarves at least and even towered over Kurobe.

"It's so light..." Kaijin noted as he tapped two scales against one another. A light metallic ring sounded from the contact, clean and crisp through the cold, night air. "And so hard. I bet we could use this."

"It'll make some nice weapons," Kurobe agreed as he picked up another scale to examine for himself.

"It could be a shield, too. Or we could even work it into some armor," Garm added beside his brothers.

"We could even make some simple accessories with it," Dord commented. "They'd fetch a high price for sure."

Myrd nodded and hummed his agreements.

At the center of the village around the fountain, various tables and two large pots of cooking megalodon was featured as well as a boat of sashimi-ed megalodon was served, the mouth of the shark wide open at the helm. The townspeople were spread all over the courtyard waiting for the food to finish cooking. As Rimuru was glancing over the crowd, he saw Geld make his way to Gabiru with two cups of alcohol.

"Geld, that was some splendid fighting!" Gabiru commented as he accepted one of the cups that Geld offered to him. They brought the two cups together with a light clink sound. "Your courage set an example I'd like to follow!"

"You were unstoppable yourself, Gabiru! I can't express my admiration enough!" Geld replied happily.

"Oh, no, Geld!" Gabiru insisted.

"Oh, no, Gabiru!" Geld insisted back. The two of the laughed at their compliments to each other and joyously enjoyed the alcohol with the three dragonnewts with Gabiru quickly complimenting them both.