Chapter 32

Charles could still recall the first day that he met Iris.

She'd looked so frustrated, storming to her car from the building where she'd just lost her job. Her cheeks had been red with anger as she'd fumbled to find her car keys. Her complete confusion and lack of knowledge about her abilities, as well as her feisty nature and driven personality, had instantly piqued Charles' interest. He hadn't just wanted to find out what her powers were. She'd captured his attention the moment they'd spoken to each other.

The part of his day he'd looked forward to the most when they were training with Moira to fight Shaw had been his sessions with Iris. Those moments alone, when the two of them were so honest and open with each other as they'd tried to delve into her past and discover her abilities, were what he'd cherished most.

He'd fallen in love with her on the night that they'd danced together to tinny music on the radio. He'd known in that moment he'd never wanted to lose her.

And then he had lost her. For ten whole years. He'd been a broken man without her, and when Logan had brought her back into his life, he'd been able to put himself back together. He'd never stopped loving her, all of those years. She'd stopped loving him, though, because she hadn't remembered him. Even when her memories had been restored, it had taken time for her to fall in love with him again.

It had been a warm summer afternoon when she'd said it.

They'd spent the last few months setting up the school again with Hank, and it had slowly been growing. It was a project the three of them had loved and cared for so dearly.

Charles and Iris had been sitting by the lake. He'd leant his head back, soaking up the sun, while she'd been reading a book. Or so he'd thought.

He'd opened one eye carefully, and realised that she'd been watching him. He'd frowned, "What are you looking at?"

She'd simply laughed, and not said anything. He'd playfully reached out and tapped her with his foot, "Come on, what are you looking at?"

"You," She'd murmured, leaning towards him with a grin. She'd looked almost golden in the sunlight.

"Why?"

"Because I love you."

Her voice had been so soft and gentle. Her dark hair had blown across her face in the warm summer wind. He'd reached out and tucked that piece of hair behind her ear, and kissed her softly on the lips.

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

"You love me."

"Yes, Charles." That small crease had formed between her eyebrows as she'd looked at him.

He'd laughed, "That's funny, Iris – because I love you, too."

She'd beamed at him, and Charles had looked at her – this beautiful, intelligent, talented woman – and wondered what he had done to deserve her. He'd never ever wanted to lose her again.

But now, she was standing across from him atop this sandy, rocky, ridge overlooking Cairo – and she was no longer the Iris that he knew. She was En Sabah Nur's weapon, controlled by him and the uncontrollable power within her. Her dark hair was blowing out behind her as she stood between Erik and En Sabah Nur, looking out at Cairo beneath her. Flames curled at her fingertips, but they didn't appear to bother her.

Charles felt frozen as he stared at her – this woman he had loved for twenty years – and she didn't even seem to recognise him. She was gone.

En Sabah Nur turned to face Iris, reaching out and stroking her cheek gently. Charles shuddered.