Chapter 34

There was a loud crash. Jean flinched, glancing up at the top of the jet. Kurt had managed to retrieve the others and put them on the jet, including Hank, who appeared quite shaken up as he was trying to fly the jet with Moira. Jean could sense why – he'd had an encounter with Iris. He kept glancing back at the Professor, his expression unreadable.

The Professor was shouting, although his eyes were still closed. Jean was trying to calm him down, but he seemed so completely lost, she wasn't sure how she was supposed to. Somehow, he looked so oddly vulnerable without his hair. He looked more exposed than she had ever seen him. He could sense his pain and anguish, and she wanted to help him so desperately.

There was another crash. The top of the jet was beginning to fall away. Two of En Sabah Nur's servants were on top, trying to retrieve the Professor and kill the rest of them. They couldn't stay on the jet for any longer – it was too unsafe, even with Hank and Moira's skilled flying.

An idea struck Jean.

"Kurt!" She shouted, grabbing onto him, "Everybody grab onto Nightcrawler!"

Kurt's mouth fell open, "I've never done it with this many people before!"

Everyone held hands quickly, ignoring Kurt's protests. The top of the jet was ripped away, and the two servants leapt into the jet.

"Kurt, hurry!" Jean shouted, feeling her panic rising, "Kurt!"

She squeezed her eyes shut. The jet was plummeting towards the ground –

They disappeared from the jet. Jean opened her eyes and saw that Kurt had taken them to an abandoned house nearby. They were safe.

Kurt collapsed to the floor, seemingly exhausted after transporting so many people. people.

"Is he okay?" Someone asked Jean about the Professor as she gently lay him down on the floor.

"It's his energy. He's drained." She murmured.

"No." Charles muttered, "Get out... get... get out!"

Jean reached out and touched her fingers to his head gently to try and soothe him, "Professor. Professor, it's okay. You're with us, it's okay."

"Where's Iris?" Moira asked Hank, and he shook his head.

"She tried to attack me before I could knock her unconscious again. Kurt saved me just in time." He hesitated, "She's extremely powerful. I don't know how we can get hold of her without... without killing her."

Jean glanced up at the two of them, "Surely there's something we can do? We can't leave her like this. She must be... She must be strong enough to return to herself."

Hank shook his head, "Jean, I just don't know. She didn't even recognise me when she saw me. Whatever has been done to her, it seems to have been powerful enough to destroy any essence of her true self."

"Where... is... she?" The Professor asked, his eyes opening. Jean knew he was asking about Iris.

"We don't know," She whispered, "We will try and find her, Professor. I'm-"

She was cut off by the voice of En Sabah Nur outside the house.

"Charles. I know you can hear me. We're still connected." He paused, "Charles! Show yourself! Charles! Show yourself!"

He was cut off suddenly, and Jean reached into the minds of those nearby to try and understand what was going on. She held onto Peter's, and although it was happening far too fast for her to comprehend, she realised that he was beating En Sabah Nur up faster than he could react.